penfold Posted April 1, 2011 Posted April 1, 2011 I have a web page with a grid containing data filtered on a pull down selection. This works so long as I select a value, but I want to be able to leave the pulldown menu blank and have the filter return everything if the selection is NULL. I have configured the query and tested to make sure it works (which it does), but if I try this in the web page it doesn't display anything. I assume it is something to do with the NULL value? But after going round in circles I'm at a loss what to try next. Can anyone explain to me what I should do in order to be able to have an option pulldown1 containing my filter but also include a blank option which will display all data please?
LosOjos Posted April 1, 2011 Posted April 1, 2011 I have a web page with a grid containing data filtered on a pull down selection. This works so long as I select a value, but I want to be able to leave the pulldown menu blank and have the filter return everything if the selection is NULL. I have configured the query and tested to make sure it works (which it does), but if I try this in the web page it doesn't display anything. I assume it is something to do with the NULL value? But after going round in circles I'm at a loss what to try next. Can anyone explain to me what I should do in order to be able to have an option pulldown1 containing my filter but also include a blank option which will display all data please? Hard to help without seeing any code, but it depends on how you're forming your query. If I were to approach it, I'd probably have an if statement check the value of pulldown1, if it contains a value, pass that as an argument to your query, if it is null, I'd perform a different query to return everything... e.g. (think of this as pseudo code, I'm not guaranteeing it would compile because I'm working from [poor] memory here!) strQuery="SELECT * FROM table1"; if(pulldown1.Value!=null){ strQuery += " WHERE column1=\"" & pulldown1.Value & "\""; so you've got your query setup to return all values, unless a value is selected as a filter, then you add that filter to your query... Of course that could be exactly what you are already doing 1
penfold Posted April 4, 2011 Author Posted April 4, 2011 Well I considered posting code, but it was within a bunch of other stuff. As I couldn't get it working I stipped it down to a basic pulldownMenu and grid with just test data just to see if I could get it working, but it seemed that whenever I tried to do something it didn't work. It actually got so bad at me going round in cicles I started dreaming about code over the wekend!! I think I'll try it your way and see how I go....Thanks
penfold Posted April 4, 2011 Author Posted April 4, 2011 C#. If I get time I'll have another look today. But I think I may change what I was doing. As I got stuck at the first hurdle, it kinda shows my programming skills
AngryTechnician Posted April 4, 2011 Posted April 4, 2011 First thing that springs to mind: on your SqlDataSource object, check that the CancelSelectOnNullParameter property is set to False. The default is True. 1
penfold Posted April 4, 2011 Author Posted April 4, 2011 First thing that springs to mind: on your SqlDataSource object, check that the CancelSelectOnNullParameter property is set to False. The default is True. Thankyou....this was what I was missing. I knew it had to be something simple but for the life of me couldn't work out where.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now