Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

Our SIMS server is running on a virtual server - Server 2003 standard R2 x86. (It was converted from a physical server). I have given it all the resources the OS supports i.e 4 cpu cores and 4Gb RAM.

We currently have a problem where CPU usage hits 100% on all cores and causes speed issues with SIMS because it's busy, especially around the time of year they do profiles and assman.

I can confirm that the activity is caused by SQL(SIMS) and not anything untoward.

 

I want to improve performance of the SIMS server. The virtual host has lots of spare resources (While the virtual SIMS server sits at 100% on all virtual cores only 5% real cpu is used on the host.)

 

Ideally I would like to create a new 2008 R2 server image and migrate SIMS over but I had a look and there are loads of SIMS integrated software that make this a bit tricky.

So..

I know I can't upgrade 2003 x86 to 2008 R2 x64, but can I upgrade to x86 2003 enterprise to allow the use of more RAM and CPU cores?

If I do will I have to repair SQL 2008\SIMS etc or should it all just work?

 

Thanks,

Posted

Hi

 

Yes you can upgrade from STD to ENT.

 

Although the OS mayhave more RAM etc, you need to know the limitations of the application and see if they can take advantage. Putting more RAM into a server doesn't always mean your application will perform better. You may also have to adjust the memory allocation between the OS and application.

 

Sukh

Posted
Ideally I would like to create a new 2008 R2 server image and migrate SIMS over but I had a look and there are loads of SIMS integrated software that make this a bit tricky.

 

Wimp :-) Seriously, you'll have to migrate servers sooner or later, so you might as well sort out the issues with your applications that rely on SIMS now and upgrade to a new Server 2008 R2 VM. What issues do you have with what applications? It's likely that someone here will know how to sort your problem.

Posted

Depending on your virtulisation solution you may only be able to use 4 cores and if it is the CPU that is maxing then adding more ram is not likely to help. I would suggest migrating just the database off to a newer fresh VM and giving that a chunk of memory which would mean better utilization - 2003 is horrible as a virtual host in comparison to 2008 - and that all the avalible CPU if limited to 4 could go into SQL. This move should be reasonably easy and would be the first step to a full transfer over to a newer system.

 

The physical to virtual process can also leave a unch of artifacts that slow stuff down so a fresh VM with a more VM friendly OS will give you much better results.

Posted

Do you have the Graphs on the homepage

 

try disabling them as they are awfully written and everytime they refresh (individual for each user) they take up 5% of cpu - so 20 of them and your stuffed!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...