localzuk Posted March 24, 2011 Posted March 24, 2011 So, I've been reading about HTML5 and its new 'email' input type, and thinking how its an amazingly useful feature. It got me thinking about how I used to validate email addresses. So, how did you do it? Did anyone else make use of the regex from the perl 'Valid.pm'? ie. [\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\ xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xf f\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(??:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\x ff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|"[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015 "]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015"]*)*")[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\ xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80 -\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]* )*(?:\.[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\ \\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\ x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x8 0-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|"[^\\\x80-\xff\n \015"]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015"]*)*")[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x 80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^ \x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040 \t]*)*)*@[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([ ^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\ \\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\ x80-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|\[(?:[^\\\x80- \xff\n\015\[\]]|\\[^\x80-\xff])*\])[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015() ]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\ x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:\.[\04 0\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\ n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\ 015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?! [^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|\[(?:[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015\[\ ]]|\\[^\x80-\xff])*\])[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\ x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\01 5()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*)*|(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:". \\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff] )|"[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015"]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015"]*)*")[^ ()<>@,;:".\\\[\]\x80-\xff\000-\010\012-\037]*(??:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\0 15()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][ ^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)|"[^\\\x80-\xff\ n\015"]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015"]*)*")[^()<>@,;:".\\\[\]\ x80-\xff\000-\010\012-\037]*)*<[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(? ?:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80- \xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:@[\040\t]* (?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015 ()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015() ]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^(\0 40)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|\[(?:[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015\[\]]|\\ [^\x80-\xff])*\])[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\ xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]* )*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:\.[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80 -\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x 80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t ]*)*(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\ \[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|\[(?:[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015\[\]]|\\[^\x80-\xff]) *\])[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x 80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80 -\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*)*(?:,[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015( )]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\ \x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*@[\040\t ]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\0 15()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015 ()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^( \040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|\[(?:[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015\[\]]| \\[^\x80-\xff])*\])[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80 -\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015() ]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:\.[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x 80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^ \x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040 \t]*)*(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:". \\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|\[(?:[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015\[\]]|\\[^\x80-\xff ])*\])[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\ \x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x 80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*)*)*:[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015 ()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\ \\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*)?(?:[^ (\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000- \037\x80-\xff])|"[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015"]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\ n\015"]*)*")[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]| \([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)) [^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:\.[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff \n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\x ff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*( ?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\ 000-\037\x80-\xff])|"[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015"]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\ xff\n\015"]*)*")[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\x ff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*) *\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*)*@[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\x ff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80- \xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*) *(?:[^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\ ]\000-\037\x80-\xff])|\[(?:[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015\[\]]|\\[^\x80-\xff])*\] )[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80- \xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\x ff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:\.[\040\t]*(?:\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*( ??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80 -\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\)[\040\t]*)*(?:[^(\040)< >@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x80-\xff]+(?![^(\040)<>@,;:".\\\[\]\000-\037\x8 0-\xff])|\[(?:[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015\[\]]|\\[^\x80-\xff])*\])[\040\t]*(?: \([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*(??:\\[^\x80-\xff]|\([^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()] *(?:\\[^\x80-\xff][^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*)*\))[^\\\x80-\xff\n\015()]*) *\)[\040\t]*)*)*>)
srochford Posted March 24, 2011 Posted March 24, 2011 Playing devil's advocate a bit, but is it even worth it? You might do a very basic check (got an @, got a . somewhere after the @) but beyond that you just validate by sending an email which has a "click here to confirm" link in it. After all, I can tell you that my email is [email protected] and it will pass any validation you can do in code; it might even pass visual inspection but it's not my email :-)
localzuk Posted March 24, 2011 Author Posted March 24, 2011 Playing devil's advocate a bit, but is it even worth it? You might do a very basic check (got an @, got a . somewhere after the @) but beyond that you just validate by sending an email which has a "click here to confirm" link in it. After all, I can tell you that my email is [email protected] and it will pass any validation you can do in code; it might even pass visual inspection but it's not my email :-) Indeed. I hold the same views now, but back when I started doing sites? I was a little more OTT with it. Especially as there are a number of people on the net who obsessively shout about the RFC and making sure you comply with it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now