Sheridan Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 Bit of a noob question here I'm loooking to setup a test lab with a client server environment where the server manages the clients (much in the same way as Windows and GPOs if possible) Now I'm fairly familiar with Ubuntu as a client but I've never set this sort of system up. Basically if I stick with Ubuntu what would anyone recommend to do this? Is there a way of controlling a desktop (not so much in the thin client way) but in the policy method? Ideally I would like to use the server to lock down a dozen or so clients - nothing too drastic just the usual security and appearance settings? Bit of a vague question I know but I'm looking into various options!
mjs_mjs Posted March 22, 2011 Posted March 22, 2011 policy kit is one such software tho i have not used it. Landscape is another but it's not free (i believe) PolicyKit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Landscape | Canonical 1
Sheridan Posted March 22, 2011 Author Posted March 22, 2011 It would have to be free (initially anyway!)
Cue Posted March 23, 2011 Posted March 23, 2011 Samba4 can serve GPO and AD, to the point where I do believe you can use the Microsoft Management Console to manage users and such (don't quote me on this). For GPO on Linux, use this: Free Active Directory Tools for UNIX, Linux and Mac OS X haven't used it myself, but it looks pretty good. 1
Sheridan Posted March 23, 2011 Author Posted March 23, 2011 I take there is no linux equivalent to group policy? I only want to apply light lockdowns/settings (much in the same way I do with GPOs or Preferences on the Macs)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now