chrbb Posted February 27, 2007 Posted February 27, 2007 Done this loads of times with laptops and computers, but today with our new server (not set by me) but standard issue server 2003, I had to use the doamin name 'schoolname.school' to get the laptops to join. I've only ever had to type in the first part of the domain name not the bit after the dot. Not a problem but really bugging me why it didn't work this time.
mattx Posted February 27, 2007 Posted February 27, 2007 Hey, don't worry about it !! But if you are that concerned, the first thing I would check out is DNS...
Ric_ Posted February 27, 2007 Posted February 27, 2007 I've noticed that you sometimes have to do this but it may be symptomatic of a deeper DNS problem. If you run dcdiag on the DCs and netdiag on the client it may gleen some pearls of wisdom.
mattx Posted February 27, 2007 Posted February 27, 2007 On the server? Yes, take note of what Ric_ has said as that is the cause of action I would follow. Did you image these laptops or were they already done for you ?
chrbb Posted February 27, 2007 Author Posted February 27, 2007 They're laptops for teachers scheme, partly setup by lea I put our software on. I'm wondering if there is a dns problem because I can't get our w98 computers to join the domain either, they pick up the ip address from the range and I can ping the server and get to access the server through network neighbourhood.
ChrisH Posted February 27, 2007 Posted February 27, 2007 If you havent got any win 98 machines on the domain already then.... You may have to go through steps such as disabling SMB signing in group policy and you may need another bit of software ont hem as well which name escapes me.
ChrisH Posted February 28, 2007 Posted February 28, 2007 DSCLIENT Chris ? Yup thats the one I was thinking of.
ajbritton Posted February 28, 2007 Posted February 28, 2007 They're laptops for teachers scheme, partly setup by lea I put our software on. I'm wondering if there is a dns problem because I can't get our w98 computers to join the domain either, they pick up the ip address from the range and I can ping the server and get to access the server through network neighbourhood. Windows 9x computers cannot 'join' a domain. They can use a domain for user authentication that's all.
chrbb Posted February 28, 2007 Author Posted February 28, 2007 Yes, but they should be able to logon to a domain and access drives etc. they were working Ok til we had a new server, never had a problem before with W98s on server 2003 domains.
ajbritton Posted February 28, 2007 Posted February 28, 2007 Do you know where your PDC Emulator FSMO role is?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now