TechMonkey Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 I am investigating training for the department. We are looking at going from CC3 to a vanilla system in a year and a half and obviously need training. We are all competent but have not got the full under the engine, hands on experience. BUT obviously with the time frame and the end goal we need to make sure we aren't just getting training to pass a qualification or to be able to discuss theory models and test systems. So would everyone say that as long as we get a good trainer that MS quals would be ok, or can anyone recommend anything else? Ta
featured_spectre Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 Before you consider this, do the following. Visit schools within the local area (radius of 75 miles) that have made the transition and see how they found it Visit schools that went from Vanilla to CC3/CC4 and see what they prefer - reason I say this is because some schools did that change and wanted to change back shortly after! Visit schools that have just a vanilla network and see how they operate, as it will be different to the ones that did transition from CC3/CC4 back to vanilla. Build a test box using your technet account from your SLA (assuming you have one) and a test PC so you can see how you like configuring GPOs to suite your needs Get the books and learn for your self. Instructor led courses are good if you are on a limited time with a big budget, however books and asking questions on here will get you further than instructor led training (I passed Comptia Network+ just from what I learnt on Edugeek!) I am happy for you to visit my school if you wish so you can see how we have things set up!
bodminman Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 Before you consider this, do the following. Visit schools within the local area (radius of 75 miles) that have made the transition and see how they found it Visit schools that went from Vanilla to CC3/CC4 and see what they prefer - reason I say this is because some schools did that change and wanted to change back shortly after! Visit schools that have just a vanilla network and see how they operate, as it will be different to the ones that did transition from CC3/CC4 back to vanilla. Build a test box using your technet account from your SLA (assuming you have one) and a test PC so you can see how you like configuring GPOs to suite your needs Get the books and learn for your self. Instructor led courses are good if you are on a limited time with a big budget, however books and asking questions on here will get you further than instructor led training (I passed Comptia Network+ just from what I learnt on Edugeek!) I am happy for you to visit my school if you wish so you can see how we have things set up! Good advice Nephilim
SYNACK Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 Do the MS qual for the version of server you will be using, don't do it just for the qual, do it for the indepth knowledge it will give you about the available options. I would probably do it by getting a book then doing the exam to cement and affirm the knowledge.
TechMonkey Posted January 27, 2011 Author Posted January 27, 2011 Thanks Neph, - I don't think anyone down this way has moved away from CC3, not many RM schools at all. We are intending to do as many site visits as possible though. - Just heard of a school that has done that so will be visiting them. Though I'm pretty sure the move to Vanilla is definite now. - Again, lots of visits are in my future so should be interesting. - Hopefully we will be getting a test Virtualisation up and running to so lots of ability to play. - That's a good idea, I think our biggest problem would be getting any time to go to training courses so self study would be the way to go. @Synack - are the MS quals alone enough for real world hands on or very theory based. I remember a while back (and it would be a fair while) they were producing a lot of people that could do things in an ideal world and not so much how to do things practically. Hence as a 16 year old having to show a highly trained MSP being paid at least 3x as much as me how to build a workstation from a boot disk!!
SYNACK Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 Thats why I said do it for the information not the exam, the issue a while back was not so much with the course but with the amount of cheating by people just after the pass not the knowleage. Sure you can do a day course and pass but then it is useless for anything but a CV filler. The information is wide ranging and covers lots of the practical aspects of actually configuring the features, what they do and what to look out for. Don't let the cheating mob rob you of a good source of wide ranging information about the OS you want to use.
elsiegee40 Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 There's a small company in Reigate InTimeSolutions that I have used. They specialise in schools and their server training might be what you need for the crossover training.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now