Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a new linux machine set up and it is joined to the domain. I want to enable a map so that the local 'adm' group on the linux machine contains the 'Domain Admins' group of the AD.

 

Does anyone know how to do this?

Posted

And, to answer my own question.

 

You use 'net group add/modify'.

 

And on Ubuntu group maps are already set up but are set to null (so Domain Admins -> -1) so you have to use 'net group modify ntgroup="Domain Admins" unixgroup=blah.

Posted

Well I seem to have a problem. I am trying to set up CUPS + Samba (and eventually pykota).

 

I have the machine joined to the domain fine, I have used the net group modify command to map Domain Admins -> adm etc... but when I set up the samba print$ share (per http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html) I add @adm as a write list member for the share and also @adm as 'printer admin' in the [printers] share details.

 

When I try and follow the instructions for adding drivers to the share via the windows method, the driver list is empty and the 'Add Driver' button greyed out. I am guessing that this is due to the group mappings not working properly.

 

Any advice?

Posted

Yep. getent works fine. I have the full lists working. And the wbinfo is working fine too.

 

All the authentication stuff works fine, it just seems to be the use of iit for checking share permissions.

Posted

Maybe of no help at all but I can't get proper adminstrative remote control of my Ubuntu/CUPS/Samba printerserver and thats on a peer to peer network with no security at all.

 

I believe that CUPS adminstration is broken on Ubuntu due to philosphicall differences (eg geek war) in the community.

 

This info is 4 months old so maybe things have changed?

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted

@geoff - not looking for any help - just saying I believe CUPS adminstration is broken under Ubunutu and maybe that's why options are greyed out and not actually a permissions problem.

 

regards

Simon

Posted
@geoff - not looking for any help - just saying I believe CUPS adminstration is broken under Ubunutu and maybe that's why options are greyed out and not actually a permissions problem.

 

regards

Simon

 

you just need to alter the cupsd.conf to enable remote administration.

Posted
you just need to alter the cupsd.conf to enable remote administration.

 

I'd didn't realise it was that simple.

 

What/where do I need to change?

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted

@localzuk: What error messages are you getting?

 

I had a problem like this initially, however I had forgotten to give the necessary access to the /etc/samba/drivers directory IIRC. If it isn't working for 'administrator', try running it with the -U root switch instead.

Posted

I don't quite understand what you mean Ric_. I'm not getting any error messages. The 'Add Driver' button is simply greyed out. I have set print$ to /home/drivers and it currently is world read+writable.

 

I am adding the drivers from Windows (or trying to) via the method described in chapter 21 of the samba tutorial at samba.org.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...