FunkMaster_J Posted December 16, 2010 Posted December 16, 2010 Hi all, For some reason Excel doesn't seem to connect to the currently installed printer, therefore won't give options to change paper size etc. Not sure if this is adding to the problem, but even though there is a printer installed, it's not always set as default ... in fact, no printer is set as default despite there being printers installed. I would assume as there is no default, then Excel can't display/change the page settings ... but no other Office application does this, even without a default printer set, Word etc just grab a printer from the installed printer list. I've had a Google, but can't find an answer to why there's no default printer or why Excel's workings differ from Word etc.
GREED Posted December 16, 2010 Posted December 16, 2010 Not seen this before. Can you go through the normal 'find a printer' rountine and do it? Not suggesting as a solution, but might help diagose.
FunkMaster_J Posted December 30, 2010 Author Posted December 30, 2010 If I go to the 'print' box in Excel, it makes the connection to a printer ... but until that point Excel assumes there's no printer installed. Sometimes if I go to the 'page setup' dialog, it says there's no printers installed, but then gives a pop-up box with the currently installed printers from which I can choose.
SneakyBeaky Posted December 31, 2010 Posted December 31, 2010 (edited) I seem to remember this happening in a previous office version when the registry was corrupted, but I cannot remember any of the details on how to correct it. I have just looked back through my notes and it is something to do with HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows key being missing. Try creating it. If there is no "Windows" folder listed under WINDOWSNT a default printer cannot be set, causing the issues with Excel not being able to print. Create one "Windows". You do not have to add any subkeys under it. Edited December 31, 2010 by SneakyBeaky
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now