Hightower Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 We need to stick a new module in our switch, but our cabling company claims that modules for a HP Pro-Curve 5308xl are now obsolete and therefore we can't get our hands on one. Can anyone shine any light on this for me? We're only after a basic 24-port 10/100 module for it, and I find it hard to believe that these are no longer available for this model.
Hightower Posted December 13, 2010 Author Posted December 13, 2010 P.S. I think the part number is: J4820A
teejay Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts 1
Hightower Posted December 13, 2010 Author Posted December 13, 2010 From all my Googling it appears that it is indeed discountinued. Anybody got an old module (working) that they want to sell on to us?
teejay Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 Seems to be available direct from HP Parts, link in previous post, there is also a 2nd hand 5308 on fleabay with 5 x J4820A in it HP ProCurve 5308xl J4819A / J4820A /J4821A switch+mods on eBay (end time 25-Dec-10 11:33:28 GMT)
Hightower Posted December 13, 2010 Author Posted December 13, 2010 Seems to be available direct from HP Parts, link in previous post, there is also a 2nd hand 5308 on fleabay with 5 x J4820A in it HP ProCurve 5308xl J4819A / J4820A /J4821A switch+mods on eBay (end time 25-Dec-10 11:33:28 GMT) £500 is a lot of money when we just need 1 module. I've seen 2nd hand parts on Google Shopping for around £100 so that may be an option. As for the part being available - I can't see that.... I entered the part number in the UK site of HP, and it came up saying it had been replaced with part number J4820-69301, and that it costs over a grand - silly money for a little module.
teejay Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 £500 is a lot of money when we just need 1 module. I've seen 2nd hand parts on Google Shopping for around £100 so that may be an option. As for the part being available - I can't see that.... I entered the part number in the UK site of HP, and it came up saying it had been replaced with part number J4820-69301, and that it costs over a grand - silly money for a little module. The ebay one is for the complete switch with 5 of the units you want. Buy it, rip out the one you want, stick a blanking plate in, back on ebay for £500 ;-) Yes, the unit via HP is expensive:eek:
Hightower Posted December 13, 2010 Author Posted December 13, 2010 The ebay one is for the complete switch with 5 of the units you want. Buy it, rip out the one you want, stick a blanking plate in, back on ebay for £500 ;-) Yes, the unit via HP is expensive:eek: I'm sure the older one only cost £300-£400, so how come the replacement is 3 times as much?! It seems stupid. As for buying, and reselling the unit - it's a lot of hassle. I have opened up a thread in classified to see if anyone has an old one they no longer need, and if not I guess I'll just buy a used one from Google Shopping: HP Expansion module - 24 ports
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now