FN-GM Posted October 20, 2010 Posted October 20, 2010 Probably another year from now we will see Mac OS X Lion. Here are a few new features in there. At the moment in not really impressed Apple - Mac OS X Lion
jamesmay Posted October 21, 2010 Posted October 21, 2010 I'm interested to see what lion server will be like and the enterprise type stuff. hoping for some amazing new way of AD integration, and mac app store app deployment for a network.
Arthur Posted October 21, 2010 Posted October 21, 2010 I'm very underwhelmed too, although Apple have said they will be announcing additional features in due course. I hope they add support for things like ZFS, USB 3.0 and TRIM (for SSDs). Probably another year from now we will see Mac OS X Lion. It's being released Summer 2011, so not too long to wait. I wonder if they will also sell it on a USB flash drive like the one you get with the new MacBook Air's. 1
Carter Posted October 21, 2010 Posted October 21, 2010 I'll try to update this article tomorrow but here is an article I did up that gives you snapshots & info from all the versions of OS X Mac OS X Over The Years OS X Public Beta OS X 10.0 "Cheetah" OS X 10.1 "Puma" OS X 10.2 "Jaguar" OS X 10.3 "Panther" OS X 10.4 "Tiger" OS X 10.5 "Leopard" OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"
FN-GM Posted October 21, 2010 Author Posted October 21, 2010 I wonder if they will also sell it on a USB flash drive like the one you get with the new MacBook Air's. I doubt it as it will be cheaper to use DVD's
Arthur Posted October 21, 2010 Posted October 21, 2010 I doubt it as it will be cheaper to use DVD's They could do both, but charge extra for the flash drive version? It suppose it depends on whether Apple drop optical drives from more of their computers.
danbuntu Posted October 21, 2010 Posted October 21, 2010 looks like they are building in some kind of apt system for updates and programs though. That could be kind.
Arthur Posted October 24, 2010 Posted October 24, 2010 The Mac App Store has tons of restrictions (just like the iOS App Store). It will be interesting to see what's on there when it goes live.
SYNACK Posted October 24, 2010 Posted October 24, 2010 Their new appStore lockin for the new functionality is a little worrying though, so much for them not trying to lock down the platform like iOS. The new oneclick update feature along with the ability to have the program are tied to having your app pushed through the app store and shareing 30% of your profit. Mac users can only hope that the trend does not continue. Slashdot Apple Story | Beware the Garden of Steven
techie08 Posted October 24, 2010 Posted October 24, 2010 Surely they should iron the bugs that snow leopard has first!!! we've had a nightmare with it, especially with AD Intergration!
Arthur Posted October 24, 2010 Posted October 24, 2010 Mac users can only hope that the trend does not continue.The Mac App Store is like Steam, but for Mac Apps. Until Apple remove the ability to install software via other means I wouldn't get too worried.
mac_shinobi Posted October 25, 2010 Posted October 25, 2010 I'm very underwhelmed too, although Apple have said they will be announcing additional features in due course. I hope they add support for things like ZFS, USB 3.0 and TRIM (for SSDs). It's being released Summer 2011, so not too long to wait. I wonder if they will also sell it on a USB flash drive like the one you get with the new MacBook Air's. I hope they add those features as well, especially the TRIM and ZFS support - more so TRIM just down to the fact that SSD's are slowly becoming more popular and will do when prices are more reasonable. I was also hoping for Light Peak, SATA 6 Gbps and blu ray support but I think most or all of these are down to hardware but possibly some software requirements ie protocol support for say light peak ?? Although USB 3 would be good
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now