Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey folks,

 

I'm wanting to start an Internet Cafe at a computer repair shop and have a feq queries.

 

I would like to run an AD based system for complete lock down of the public machines and member access.

 

My queries are:

 

If I buy Windows server 2008 - do I need CALS for my machines and how much do they cost ? - a total of 10 machines to start off with.

 

Could I still buy Server 2003 Standard and how much would CALS be if I need them ?

 

Would I still be able to buy a VLK for XP Pro or would it be easier to go Win 7 and how much would a site License be ?

 

Anyone have any ideas ?

 

 

Cheers.

Posted

MS only offer the latest versions of products under Volume licensing which allow you to downgrade to a previous version if necessary.

 

You won't be able to buy VL's for new installs of Windows, only upgrade licenses. It's cheapest to get OEM copies buying/building the machines.

 

You would need CAL's, so a copy of Windows server with 10 CAL's would set you back about £1000 + VAT. You'd then be looking at £150 per additional 5 CAL pack.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...