Jackd Posted September 25, 2010 Posted September 25, 2010 I've got a Netgear WG511v1 PCMCIA network card for a laptop. I've got two of the same laptops that both have the same image on them. On one laptop it works fine but on the second it either just displays the card as a generic network controller or it displays it correctly but says "The device cannot find enough free resources to use". I've attached some screen shots showing the error. The card itself works fine on the same type of laptop with the same image so I'm guessing the slot is broken on this laptop? Thanks
SYNACK Posted September 26, 2010 Posted September 26, 2010 Its probably to do with IRQs or something, go into the BIOS of the faulty one and disable the stuff you don't need, LPT port etc which all use up IRQs and try again. The card itself may be limited to a certain set of IRQs in which case you may need to copy the settings from the BIOS or OS of the working one to the broken one.
Jackd Posted September 26, 2010 Author Posted September 26, 2010 I've just tried with the serial and parallel ports disabled in the BIOS and it hasn't made a difference. I've set the bios to defaults and still nothing. I'm looking for a bios update to see if that fixes anything but no idea what it is atm.
SYNACK Posted September 26, 2010 Posted September 26, 2010 Go into device manager and under the view menu select resources by connection or resources by type and have a look and see how the IRQs are shared on each of the machiens. Sometimes Windows gets it stuck in it head to use a certain combination for something that it must be manualy chastized for before it will sort it out. This may be one of those times.
Jackd Posted September 26, 2010 Author Posted September 26, 2010 Ive attached two screen shots from the resources view of device manager. I think it may be the slot though, when plugging the card into that laptop its just detected as a network controller but if i wriggle it around a bit it'll then get detected as a WG511. Sounds like it's the slot right?
SYNACK Posted September 26, 2010 Posted September 26, 2010 Could be the slot but it is an odd presentation, it looks to be trying to share IRQ5 which already has two other devices on it one of which is a realtime audio device which could be causing problems. One way to check if it is the hardware could be to swap the HD from the identical working on in and see if it finds the card fine, if so its the OS, if not its hardware.
Jackd Posted September 27, 2010 Author Posted September 27, 2010 I've just took the drive from the working laptop and placed it in the broken laptop and it is still detected as just a network controller. I've also took that laptop apart and there looks to be nothing wrong with the pins on the slot or anything. Any more ideas anyone?
Nexarius Posted September 28, 2010 Posted September 28, 2010 There is a reason I gave you those laptops, Jack ;-) They are awful. I suggest that you either install a mini-PCI card, use a USB one, or ask me nicely and I'll post you another laptop. It's probably cheaper than having them properly disposed off...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now