woody04 Posted September 23, 2010 Posted September 23, 2010 I have a laptop with an extra monitor hooked up via a vga port and wish to hook up a second monitor and extend my desktop over the two monitors and my laptop (not duplicate). The problem is I only have one vga port. I have looked online and seen the usb to vga adapters and the cheapest one I could find which looked like it does what I need was around £30. Just wondering if anybody knows a cheaper way of doing this? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Ignatius Posted September 24, 2010 Posted September 24, 2010 Will it really extend the desktop across two or more monitors? I though that facility was available only if the graphics card was connected directly to AGP/PCI etc., rather than via USB. If it will work to extend the laptop desktop, I'll be interested in doing it too.
buzzard Posted September 24, 2010 Posted September 24, 2010 if your laptop will plug into a usb port replicator it shoudl work, I've a guy at work who does the same, dosn't use the laptop screen (broken) but hooks upto two monitors (VGA and DVI)
woody04 Posted September 25, 2010 Author Posted September 25, 2010 Will it really extend the desktop across two or more monitors? I though that facility was available only if the graphics card was connected directly to AGP/PCI etc., rather than via USB. If it will work to extend the laptop desktop, I'll be interested in doing it too. I hadnt really thought about a graphics card I guessed it would just work if I connected it via a different port, however, I may well be wrong...
SYNACK Posted September 25, 2010 Posted September 25, 2010 Possibly the best way to do this is (if your laptop supports it) a docking station/port replicator. The older hp ones are really cheap (even in NZ) and give you both a VGA and DVI out. As long as the onboard video card has the horsepower to support both outputs it should work fine and allow for full GPU speed/smooth video playback etc.
robk Posted September 25, 2010 Posted September 25, 2010 The USB video cards do work, I wouldnt want to play lots of video games over them, but if your looking at more display space for web browsers etc not a problem.
imiddleton25 Posted September 25, 2010 Posted September 25, 2010 I tried to do the exact same thing and found the limit of the laptop graphics card ( 2 monitors) still applies even if you get usb to vga adapter. Best i could get was laptop screen on and the half a screen on both external monitors but they were clones not extended i used a maxtrox dual head vga to usb ( which by the way needs a vga port) my laptop is a fujitsu tablet t4210 on a docking station. I really find one extra screen usefull but 2 would be ideal still trying to make it work. Matrox say it cant be done , but not sure i belive them
Ignatius Posted September 25, 2010 Posted September 25, 2010 I hadnt really thought about a graphics card I guessed it would just work if I connected it via a different port, however, I may well be wrong... Let us know if you manage to do it. As I said earlier, I'd be interested to know how it can be done. I looked into it a while ago and failed. It seems that imiddleton25 has had problems too.
localzuk Posted September 25, 2010 Posted September 25, 2010 I had this working with a Sunix USB->Vga adapter, worked fine. The processing is offloaded to the CPU I think, and then the USB device simply displays it. So, you don't get anything fancy out of it but it displays fine.
woody04 Posted September 26, 2010 Author Posted September 26, 2010 Thanks everyone for the replies!! I had this working with a Sunix USB->Vga adapter, worked fine. The processing is offloaded to the CPU I think, and then the USB device simply displays it. So, you don't get anything fancy out of it but it displays fine. This sounds promising, I will be using it for work so it doesn't need to be amazing just needs to work. I looked up the sunix usb to vga adapters and found two... which one did you use?? I am guessing it was the top one SUNIX|VGA2614|USB 2.0 HI-RESOLUTION VGA ADAPTOR | CPC or SUNIX|ST122LE|USB POWERED 2-PORT VGA SPLITTER | CPC
localzuk Posted September 26, 2010 Posted September 26, 2010 Yup, the top one. Bought it from CPC too. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now