leco Posted August 27, 2010 Posted August 27, 2010 (edited) I'm having trouble with xcopy as I can't seem to get the syntax correct:( Keep getting Invalid drive specification. I want to copy a users files from a PC to a network location. I know it's xcopy source destination just not sure how to specify those. Can anyone help me please? Not to worry think I've found it - had \\ at the start of destination when it should just have been the server name. Will find out in the morning. Edited August 27, 2010 by leco found solution - I think
Hightower Posted August 28, 2010 Posted August 28, 2010 I think you still need the backslashes if you are using a UNC path. Should be something like: XCOPY "C:\Folder\Files\*" "\\SERVER\SHARE\Folder\Files\*" /switch1 /switch2 /switch3 I always wrap my source/destination in quotes, but this is especially important if you have a space anywhere in either of the paths.
leco Posted August 28, 2010 Author Posted August 28, 2010 Thanks Hightower - I think I've found the problem, eventually. The user I was logged in as does not have permissions on the server! Simple user error, comes of working too long and too late. Will have another go today.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now