Hightower Posted July 22, 2010 Posted July 22, 2010 I'm in the process of looking at XenServer Free Edition, and wondered what the answers were in terms of backing up systems on it. We currently use BackupExec in a D2D2T schema. The autoloader is directly connected to one of our servers - a server that would have XenServer Free on should we move with it. How do I utilise the autoloader when it is connected to a XenServer machine? Is it even possible?
Ric_ Posted July 22, 2010 Posted July 22, 2010 It's not possible I'm afraid as there is no pass through of local storage devices. I have a separate physical server connected to a tape library for backup of my XenServer setup. This does also have the benefit of being in a separate building which looks a bit better in your DR plan
Hightower Posted July 22, 2010 Author Posted July 22, 2010 It's not possible I'm afraid as there is no pass through of local storage devices. I have a separate physical server connected to a tape library for backup of my XenServer setup. This does also have the benefit of being in a separate building which looks a bit better in your DR plan Can't remember how the drive connects now - iSCSI, does that sound about right. It is an add-on card so I suppose I could remove it and install it in a lower specced server just for the backups - that might just work!
Hightower Posted July 22, 2010 Author Posted July 22, 2010 Sorry, just to add on - what about snapshot backups of each VM to a NAS - is this possible with XenServer. I currently do this with a script on ESXi.
Guest Guest Posted July 22, 2010 Posted July 22, 2010 (edited) Here ya go. Just mount your nas as a dir on your pool master, and run the script. It even has a script to run on the nas which will delete old images. You need to read the info as its very important NOT to include the domU in the list of VMs to snapshot and backup!!!! http://community.citrix.com/display/xs/0+downtime+snapshot+based+XENServer+5.5+backup+script. I have 2 scripts running, one which runs every day except sunday, this is my daily, with a corasponding script on the nas to delete every 7 days. And then one which runs on a sunday for the weekly with a corasponding script on the nas to delete every couple of months. Edited July 22, 2010 by Guest
Guest Guest Posted July 22, 2010 Posted July 22, 2010 This link is 404? Wes vB in its infinate wisdom "corrected" the url for me Fixed
box_l Posted August 6, 2010 Posted August 6, 2010 (edited) Yes, it is possible, I have done it on several machines. Below are the instructions for a tape drive but the process is the same for an auto loader see http://www.meta.net.nz/~daniel/blog/2008/09/09/exporting-tape-autoloaders-via-iscsi/ for more details compiled iscsitarget-0.4.14 for xenserver 5.5 is avaliable below I extracted the iscsitarget-0.4.14 to /tmp then followed these steps #enable repositories sed i.backup "s/^enabled=0$/enabled=1/" /etc/yum.repos.d/Centos-Base.repo #add needed tools yum install make gcc lsscsi #move to correct folder cd iscsitarget-0.4.14 #install module make install #set kerndir value KERNDIR=/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/iscsi/ #make directory mkdir -p $KERNDIR #copy kernel module to location cp ./kernel/iscsi_trgt.ko $KERNDIR #load module depmod -aq #add rules to iptables to allow iscsi traffic/discovery iptables -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 631 -j ACCEPT iptables -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 3260 -j ACCEPT iptables -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT #restart service service iptables restart #to make sure set_ietd.sh is called at boot #append these lines to rc.local echo "#call set_ietd.sh" >> /etc/rc.local echo "sh set_ietd.sh" >> /etc/rc.local #write set_ietd.sh file to be called #this writes the ietd.conf file needed to publish the tape drive use nano to create /etc/set_ietd.sh with these lines of text #!/bin/bash #iscsi published name iqn="iqn.2007-04.xenserver.edu-tech.co.uk:tape0" #get HCIL values scsiHCIL="`lsscsi | grep tape`" H="`echo $scsiHCIL | cut -c 2`" C="`echo $scsiHCIL | cut -c 4`" I="`echo $scsiHCIL | cut -c 6`" L="`echo $scsiHCIL | cut -c 8`" #write targetfile echo < /etc/ietd.conf Target $iqn Lun 0 H=$H,C=$C,I=$I,L=$L,Type=rawio Type 1 InitialR2T No ImmediateData Yes xMaxRecvDataSegmentLength 262144 #restart iscsi /etc/init.d/iscsi-target restart #make set_ietd.sh executable chmod +x /etc/set_ietd.sh #call set_ietd.sh to create ietd.conf sh /etc/set_ietd.sh #start iscsi /etc/init.d/iscsi-target start #add to chkconfig chkconfig --add iscsi-target #start at boot chkconfig iscsi-target on This should get around the fact that the HCIL can change at every boot of the host machine Hope this helps Regards, BoXiscsitarget-0.4.14_xen_5.5.rar Edited August 6, 2010 by box_l
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now