visualman Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 I have been asked to reinstall XP onto surplus Dell Inspirons once used by the local authority. They have the local authority image and no admin account. I have tried but failed install XP. It blue screens. If I give them to county IT dept I will only get a "no" regarding a new image. Does anyone know how to get around the image and install a basic XP?
hotwired007 Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 Whats the blue screen error message? Are the HDDs SATA or IDE? If they are SATA are you istalling the SATA driver with the F6 message on the XP install? or can you set the controller to compatibility mode in BIOS?
visualman Posted July 8, 2010 Author Posted July 8, 2010 The HDD are SATA. I haven't got the lappy in front of me so can't confirm error msg. I had no idea about the sata driver. I simply ran the XP after changing the boot order and half way through the installing drivers etc page it goes to blue screen. I now know it has a county image installed and a hidden admin account to which I don't have pass word.
hotwired007 Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 sounds like a pretty standard sata driver error... look at the bios and see if there is an option to change the SATA mode - you may have to update the bios and/or build a driver floppy disk. although i have had installs crash due to faulty RAM.. try running memtest86 (Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic) if its connected to your domain surely loggin on as the domain admin and accessing the users and passwords control in control panel willl allow you to change the passwords?
visualman Posted July 8, 2010 Author Posted July 8, 2010 I will try the bios route, thanks. It's not connected to a domain. These were laptops set up by the authority with their image. I am trying to save money by reusing them elsewhere but not using the county image. I have to install specialist software for blind kids. The software will only run on a clean XP install. County are saying "you can't do that, go buy new ones" Crazy when perfectly good machines are sitting here unused and unusable. My probl;em seems to be the lack of access to admin account to make significant changes. I need a backdoor entry here.
ICT_GUY Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 You need the XP admin pwd reset disk. Pop in to see me and I will hook you up.
visualman Posted July 8, 2010 Author Posted July 8, 2010 ha ha. I am coming over for tonights show. Can you leave it out, or a copy? Will it run from a limited account?
hotwired007 Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 if its the same as the one i use it boots from CD... ... ...
ICT_GUY Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 As above, get here before 3:45 or leave it in my orifice.
Brpilot99 Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 If your in poole Ive got one as well .... boots off of the cd and allows admin password reset
p858snake Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 Have a look at Offline NT Password & Registry Editor i believe its the one packaged in hiren.
Brpilot99 Posted July 8, 2010 Posted July 8, 2010 Offline NT Password & Registry Editor Thats the one I use ... It works very well !!
visualman Posted July 9, 2010 Author Posted July 9, 2010 Thanks guys. I have now unlocked admin but this damn lappy still wont run my XP disc. Just blue screens. Frustrating.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now