Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with WDS at the moment and I hope someone can help.

 

I've created an image with WDS of a XP PC but could not upload it to the WDS server, I thought nothing of it as i'm only just starting to use WDS. I since found that the boot.wim file does not have the drivers for my NIC in it. I have been searching the net and found countless articles telling me how to inject drivers into the winpe.wim image. I have followed all the instructions and managed to inject the drivers into the winpe.wim image, but i'm trying to use the boot.wim image from a windows vista DVD, when I try to inject the drivers using the same method as the winpe.wim image I get an error message.

 

The commands I have been using are:

 

Imagex /mountrw Drive:\remoteinstall\bootx86\images\boot.wim 2 mount
peimg /inf=driver.inf mount\Windows
imagex /unmount /commit mount

 

this seemed to work for the winpe.wim image, but not for the boot.wim image that I have taken from the Vista DVD or a Windows 7 DVD. I have downloaded the correct drivers for the image, so vista drivers for the vista image and win7 drivers for the win7 image, but niether seem to work.

 

Can someone please shed some light on this, it's driving me mad.

Posted
Don't know what version of WAIK you have but in version for win7 you need to be using DISM commands for the image, perhaps your boot image was taken from win 7, I'm not 100% on this but I think you should be using the DISM command.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

Imagex /mountrw Drive:\remoteinstall\bootx86\images\boot.wim 2 mount

peimg /inf=driver.inf mount\Windows

imagex /unmount /commit mount

 

isnt the winpe part of the image 1 so

 

Imagex /mountrw Drive:\remoteinstall\bootx86\images\boot.wim 1 mount

  • Thanks 1
Posted

@sted yeah the winpe image is 1, but from all the instructions i have read you need to run imagex /info Drive:\remoteinstall\boot86\images\boot.wim to get the boot number from the image, which on the vista and win7 ones is 2, but i'll give it a try on 1, who knows.

 

Just tried it, got the same error, PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x800703fb.

 

I'm using WAIK for vista, i'll download the Win7 version and try that.

Posted
I've just found out that DISM comes on Win7, which is on my laptop, i've managed to mount the wim file and inject the driver and unmount the wim file, time to see if this works. Thanks for the pointers everyone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...