Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi, i have sysprep a windows 7 image put in wds and all working, create a unntanted install, etc but one problem.

 

i deleted computer name line for config file and computer are get randomly and i like any way to ask computer name in install.

 

any way?

 

thanks

Flavio rodrigues

Posted

I'm not sure if this can be done with Windows 7

It used to be possible in XP by putting a "#" or something in the sysprep.inf file (or by leaving it blank)

 

As you aree using WDS, why not set it so that unknown computers are prompted to be authorised by an admin, this then places it in the "Pending devices" container in WDS - simply right click the appropriate ID Number and choose "Name and Approve" - this then assigns the name and creates an AD account

  • Thanks 2
Posted
You can prestage but I have always found the typing a computer name the easiest to manage especially if machines get moved around frequently, not that it does here mind. You don't need mysysprep2 if you are going to prestage.
Posted

The bads its that computers are changed every year etc, so i think that easyway its:

 

i name every computers like: ROOM1PC001

So, i like any way that in install or before show a box to input computer name and automaticaly change this.

 

 

i will try the GAtt solution, any more?

 

 

I just sysprep a image, run sysprep, capture with wds and add to install images in wds, i create the unwantted files (for wds and for image) and runs all fine, just problem with computer name that are automaticaly chossen from wds client naming policy...

Posted
Gatts solution on XP did work and I used it, but for win 7 it does not work, there is a convoluted task sequence you can do in MDT2010 to prompt for computer name but the easiest way is with mysysprep2.
Posted
Gatts solution on XP did work and I used it, but for win 7 it does not work, there is a convoluted task sequence you can do in MDT2010 to prompt for computer name but the easiest way is with mysysprep2.

 

i cant get mdt to NOT prompt for a pc name atm either 7 or xp but atm its asking far too many questions

Posted
At the time we started deploying win 7 we came up against the problem of computer naming, seem to remember an article which described how to do it in MDT2010 or it could have been windows system image manager. As you point out sted at the time MDT looked far too overly complicated to do what we wanted to achieve, which was one base image to roll out across the school.
Posted
Gatts solution on XP did work and I used it, but for win 7 it does not work, there is a convoluted task sequence you can do in MDT2010 to prompt for computer name but the easiest way is with mysysprep2.

 

how mysysprep2 work?

 

can you explain?

 

thanks

Posted
As you aree using WDS, why not set it so that unknown computers are prompted to be authorised by an admin, this then places it in the "Pending devices" container in WDS - simply right click the appropriate ID Number and choose "Name and Approve" - this then assigns the name and creates an AD account

 

You learn something every day in this job. Thanks Gatt.

Posted

I keep meaning to write a HOW-TO on WDS - especially now that driver injection has been added in with 2008 R2.

Maybe now is a good time to start it as I'll be starting new images shortly for September

Posted
I keep meaning to write a HOW-TO on WDS - especially now that driver injection has been added in with 2008 R2.

Maybe now is a good time to start it as I'll be starting new images shortly for September

 

Yes please sounds good :)

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
Download and instructions are here http://tsaysoft.com/mysysprep2/ basically it replaces the sysprep.exe in windows 7 and allows you to add:

 

%Please input a computer name% into the sysprep unattended.xml file.

 

Am I right in saying that the line %Please input a computer name% needs to go under the component name =Microsoft windows unattended join section or can it just be pasted into any section of the imageunattend.xml file?

Posted
For other members who have used mysysprep with windows 7. Are you using Deployment workbench in MDT to create a task sequence. I was thinking if I create an image of a machine, embed mysysprep into this image and then use a task sequence to 'sysprep and capture' would it work? I need the image to prompt for a computer name. That is the most important part of it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...