Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

The only 2 foxconn motherboards that I can find which have "845" in the name are these two, both of which are P4 motherboards so i'd very much doubt they'd support quad core (you may have a Pentium D which is essentially a P4). I know of some Core 2 motherboards which support P4s as legacy but these seem to be the opposite (native P4).

 

I couldn't find any with "845" and "7MA" in the name but several with "945" and "7MA"? As localzuk said above, are you sure that's the correct model number? CPU-Z could help you if you're not sure.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Correct me if I am wrong but motherboards based on the Intel 845 Chipset were 478pin and not the newer LGA775.

 

To be honest if you shop around you can pick up a decent LGA775 board for £35 with everything onboard, supporting all Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad processors.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

I would say it's unlikely. If you look at the list of intel chipsets here then you'll see there are 945 chipsets for both the P4 and Core 2 processors though it suggests quad compatibility starts at the 975 one. To be honest, in my opinion even if your mobo did support quad which I doubt it will, i'd still go with the advice above and get a new motherboard. I have fitted a few of the Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L boards which are around £35 inc VAT and are more than capable. Sure, you won't have mega graphics but then if you're looking for a quad core i'd imagine you have or will be considering a separate gfx card anyway.

 

Only thing to be aware of with new mobos is RAM support (do you have DDR1 in your current one?), power supply compatibility (main power connector) and IDE/SATA. Also if the chassis is an OEM one then the case cables may not fit properly on the motherboard.

 

As I said, if you use CPU-Z and get the exact model number of the motherboard then it could be confirmed whether it definately will support quad or not.

Posted
Only thing to be aware of with new mobos is RAM support (do you have DDR1 in your current one?), power supply compatibility (main power connector) and IDE/SATA. Also if the chassis is an OEM one then the case cables may not fit properly on the motherboard.

 

That's one of the reasons why I don't want to change the mobo but it looks like I'll have to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...