Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Almost all the sites I support have two domains (admin & curriculum). Most of these sites also have two forests (admin & curriculum), but in newer installations, the domains are in the same forest (admin is the forest root domain and curriculum is an additional domain in the same forest). Where the domains are in the same forest there is an implicit trust relationship between the domains. Where the domains are in separate forests, explicit trust relationships have been created.

 

I'm trying to use a Startup script to install SIMS on PCs connected to the curriculum domain. The Startup script runs the various SIMS installers which are hosted on a server on the admin domain. This seems to work fine on the single forest sites, but gives me 'access denied' on the dual-forest sites.

 

It seems to come down the the Local System Account not being able to access anything outside the forest to which the PC belongs. I tested this using PsExec to launch a CMD session as the System account. On the single forest sites I could happily 'net view' resources in any domain. On the dual-forest sites I could only 'net view' resources in the same domain.

 

Any ideas how I can make it work on the dual-domain sites?

Posted
Are you sure the domains have been correctly setup in the forest. If they have there should be an automatic two way trust between the domains. Therefore things like net view should work.
Posted

You should be able to do a trust between windows 2000 domain and windows 2003. I do recommend that on your windows 2000 domain raise the domain functional level to windows 2000 native i.e. no pre-windows 2000 clients.

 

Thsi should allow you manully configure the trust. I'm not sure if NetBIOS is require or if its kerberous based.

 

What i would recommend is that you carry out a test using vmware first i.e. install windows 2003 server with AD in a forest and anothe VM with windows 2000 domain in a completely new forest.

 

I would also recommend that you create a secondary zone in Domain A (forest1) for the primary zone of domain B (forest2) and vice versa before configuring the trust.

 

 

Ash.

Posted

I tried connecting two Windows 2003 forests with a 2 way forest trust and it still does not allow the system account to access resources on a domain outside the forest.

 

Edit: I was wrong. It DOES work as long as I specify the server by FQDN. Unfortunately, I don't think that will help me with Win2K systems. Tests continuing!

Posted

Sounds like a DNS issue then. Do you have stub zones or (waits for a telling off from Geoff) DNS forwarders to the other domain in each domain's DNS server?

 

Adding the other domain's suffix to the domain search list might help too.

Posted
No, DNS is fine. Just to create the forest trust I had to make sure there was full name resolution across both domains. Each DNS server hosts the zone for the domain it is in and has a conditional forwarder for the DNS server in the other domain.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...