Hacksawbob Posted May 4, 2010 Posted May 4, 2010 I have a webserver (esspreso box) which is on the same subnet as the clients that access it. If I ping any other host on the network I get a TTL=128 If I ping this box I get a TTL of 64. Does this mean it is going through a router to get there? I understood that the TTL would decrement each hop, however if I tracert this address it comes back with the one entry as it should for something on the same network. I believe that TTL can be set somewhere, is this set somewhere else, on the router or local machine? i have staff saying it's been flakey lately.
powdarrmonkey Posted May 4, 2010 Posted May 4, 2010 I have a webserver (esspreso box) which is on the same subnet as the clients that access it. If I ping any other host on the network I get a TTL=128 If I ping this box I get a TTL of 64. Does this mean it is going through a router to get there? No, it's just that the default TTL value for reply packets on that box is different to others that you've sampled. Valid values for TTL are 1 through 255. I believe that TTL can be set somewhere, is this set somewhere else, on the router or local machine? On a Windows box the echo request packet can be changed (see the documentation, http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ping.mspx?mfr=true), but this does not affect the reply packet's TTL. To change that you need to change the default value on the remote box. i have staff saying it's been flakey lately. It's not going to be TTL troubles, unless you know that packets are going missing. Since you don't have a router boundary to deal with, your TTLs aren't being decremented anyway, so this is an unrelated problem.
steve Posted May 4, 2010 Posted May 4, 2010 As powdarmonkey says, each different OS can use a different TTL: OS/Device Version Protocol TTL value AIX 3.2, 4.1 ICMP 255 BSDI BSD/OS 3.1 and 4.0 ICMP 255 Cisco ICMP 254 HP-UX ICMP 255 HP-UX TCP 64 Juniper ICMP 64 Linux 2.0.x kernel ICMP 64 Linux 2.2.14 kernel ICMP 255 Linux 2.4 kernel ICMP 255 Linux Red Hat 9 ICMP and TCP 64 NetBSD ICMP 255 Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 ICMP/TCP 255/64 SunOS 5.7 ICMP and TCP 255 Windows for Workgroups TCP and UDP 32 Windows 95 TCP and UDP 32 Windows 98 ICMP/TCP 128 Windows NT 4.0 TCP and UDP 128 Windows Server 2003 128 Windows XP ICMP/TCP/UDP 128
powdarrmonkey Posted May 4, 2010 Posted May 4, 2010 As powdarmonkey says, each different OS can use a different TTL: Note, this table doesn't allow for local sysadmins making changes to the defaults.
Hacksawbob Posted May 6, 2010 Author Posted May 6, 2010 Right OK red hering, looking for my issues elsewhere... apple wireless has had the long bony finger of suspicion pointed at it!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now