leco Posted May 3, 2010 Posted May 3, 2010 Is it possible for the VM host server to not be displayed in the Network tree? Some users with admin permissions are able to see the whole network, I would like to ensure that they don't try to look in the host machine but can only see the VMs.
EduTech Posted May 3, 2010 Posted May 3, 2010 I have not tried this on a VM host, i know this used to work for Windows XP so dont see why it wouldn't but see if this will do it net config server /HIDDEN:YES you can check that it has worked if you run "net config server" and in the list of info it will state "Server Hidden Yes" James.
leco Posted May 4, 2010 Author Posted May 4, 2010 Would I run that on the host machine at an elevated cmd prompt or do I use PowerShell? I'm not too familiar with Powershell, nor net commands either but I'm learning fast. Also would that hide the host from everyone or will I still be able to log in to it somehow?
EduTech Posted May 4, 2010 Posted May 4, 2010 You run the from an elevated command prompt on the host machine, what it will do is hide it from everyone but you will still be able to access the shares via run "\\servername\share" You will have to restart the server for this to take affect though J 1
leco Posted May 4, 2010 Author Posted May 4, 2010 Thanks I'll obviously have to stop the VM's to do it so will wait until later.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now