cookie_monster Posted April 26, 2010 Posted April 26, 2010 (edited) Hi all, our users seem to be having issues opening some .docx files and it seems to be happening since KB978380 but I can't be sure that's the issue. It's not affecting all files so I'm still trying to narrow the issue down. We use Office 2003 SP3 with the Office 2007 convertor. Anyone else having issues? Thanks. EDIT I'll update this. If I double click a .docx file I get an error saying that the file cannot be found but the error points to the correct location, if I right click the file and select open with Word it converts and opens. Edited April 27, 2010 by cookie_monster
cookie_monster Posted April 27, 2010 Author Posted April 27, 2010 (edited) Well I haven't really got to the bottom of this it seems to of started in the last couple of days and is affecting quite a few clients the only change during that time is this months security updates. The only thing that has solved it is uninstalling and reinstalling the convertor. I did uninstall it and then apply all security updates one at a time rebooting between each one and testing but I was unable to replicate the issue. EDIT On further inspection I noticed that .docx is associated with the Open XML Convertor rather than Word 2003, this means that the convertor tries to convert and save the file rather than open it in Word and for some reason fails. I changed the association and it now converts and opens in Word 2003 . I now need to try and find out why this happened. Edited April 27, 2010 by cookie_monster
cookie_monster Posted April 30, 2010 Author Posted April 30, 2010 A full reinstall of Office fixed it in the end. Just selecting reinstall in group policy wasn't enough I had to unassigne and then reassign it, what a pain.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now