Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

Bit of a long shot here, but is anyone using Backup Exec 10d (I know, I know - been trying to get the budget to upgrade for ages) with MS SQL 2008 (on Server 2008 x64)? I've just deployed a new SQL 2008 box and I have the SQL licensing on the BE server, but if I add the server under BE then it just sees the drive shares. I can't remember if I need to install the BE SQL agent on the SQL server first, but I'm hesitant to put such an old agent on a new server in case it breaks something.

 

The 'official' answers on the BE forums seem to suggest you need at least 12.5 to get it working but I thought I'd see if anyone had any luck otherwise. :rolleyes:

 

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

Posted

Hello,

 

I have the same issue... because i'm a bit worried to put the agent on, I created 2 scheduled tasks, 1 to stop the SQL server services and copy the MDF & LDF files to a share on the network, one to re-start the SQL server. Obviously, when you've got a large DB it's going to be a nightmare to do but at the moment this is working for me... I suppose I could just start the backup later (midnight) and schedule to stop the services and backup the program files location as it'd backup the mdf and ldfs.

 

With 10d I found even on 2005 it didn't really work properly, since then i've been very scared to rely on it.

 

If you find a solution please do let me know :)

Posted

That's pretty much what we're doing currently on the existing SQL server, and it does involve our MIS going down for a couple of hours at night while the SQL instance is stopped and the DB files copied. I didn't have enough BE SQL licences to back up the MIS SQL server, so the plan is to consolidate everything to one SQL box and back that up using the proper agent.

 

From what I can see everywhere, 10d will not do Server 2008 with SQL 2008, you need BE 12.5 or later. I have a quote for Backup Exec 2010 and it's not really too unreasonable, if you want prices PM me and I'll send you what I've got. :)

 

Chris

Posted

Why not schedule a maintenance task on with SQL management studio that backs up the database to a file while it's running? This file then ends up on the backup each day with the normal file agent and can be overwritten each time the backup runs (unless it's a small DB and you want more copies).

 

No need to start/stop services these days.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Oh, there's definitely better ways than what we're currently doing, don't worry I know. ;)

 

I know the in-built MS SQL backup is pretty good, and I guess if I can't get BE upgraded then what you've suggested will be the best option. I hopefully will get it sorted out through BE as it just makes it that bit easier to manage and get the data off to tape / D2D.

 

Chris

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...