Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Someone has asked me and piqued my interest if it is possible to allow parents to get access to student work on a moodle install. I have looked to see if there are any modules around and can't see any but I have a feeling that it isn't possible, just from the way access is on Moodle.

Anyone any ideas?

Posted
Why can't they use their childrens' logins?

 

I'm thinking that may have to be the way ahead.

 

@Geoff: What implications would there be? Is there a DPA problem with parents accessing their own kids work,. or is it just the whole allowing external access to work at all issue?

Posted

AFAIK there are plans to implement this properly in Moodle at some point in the future. For now I don't think there is a way of doing it nicely.

 

The problem with allowing parents to use the pupils' passwords is that they then interact with the course as if they were the pupil. A teacher looking to see if James has read the passage set for homework last night won't know if it was James or his parents.

 

A small problem, but a problem non-the-less. There may be other implications.

 

I don't think it can be done with a module either as the user priviledge levels are quite low level (or at least they were)

Posted

After some reading, it looks like "Roles" will be available in the next release (currently in Beta)

 

This basically allows site owners to create any number of roles with defined access rights to suit their needs.

 

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Roles

 

There is a very long discussion on parental access here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=6250

 

Started in 2004!! Looks like someone had a go in 2005 but never really suceeded. I believe Roles will be the answer.

Posted

Parental access sounds good in principle but there are a number of problems. I suspect that some students would not respond as positively to Forums and Chats if they knew that their parents were reading their posts. Also how would you monitor what the students were saying about names, addresses and telephone numbers? Remember: A parent can still be paedophile!

 

A simple solution would be to write something that summarised the assessment details and then these were e-mailed to the parents.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...