cookie_monster Posted February 12, 2010 Posted February 12, 2010 I need to move a VM from one Xenserver to another but they aren't in a pool. Currently the VHD is on an iSCSI SAN what is the best way to move the server to the other box? I'm not sure I can share a LUN between two non pooled Xenservers so I might need to move the VHD to another LUN on the 7110, will the best option here be to export the VM then import it on the other Xenserver that uses a different LUN? Using Xenserver 5.5 Thanks.
sjl Posted February 12, 2010 Posted February 12, 2010 I think we have a similar setup only we use VMWARE. Before putting the system live we tested your scenario and it all worked fine moving the VM from one ESXi server to the other. To do it we simply had to remove it from the inventory on one server then add it to the inventory of the other - all worked fine - We are too cheap to spring for VMOTION! Ah i've just got your problem we use NFS so no LUNs - D'oh!
Ric_ Posted February 12, 2010 Posted February 12, 2010 1. Why not just pool the servers? 2. You can export as a template by right-clicking and then just import the template to your new server.
cookie_monster Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 I have two x4150s in a pool but the other Xenserver is a HP DL360 I was under the impression that the servers had to be similar hardware NIC config etc to be in a pool. Is that not the case?
Ric_ Posted February 12, 2010 Posted February 12, 2010 I have two x4150s in a pool but the other Xenserver is a HP DL360 I was under the impression that the servers had to be similar hardware NIC config etc to be in a pool. Is that not the case? It's advised but I don't think it is essential.
cookie_monster Posted February 13, 2010 Author Posted February 13, 2010 It's advised but I don't think it is essential. It doesn't look like its recommended, have you used a pool with varied hardware? What are the Resource Pool Requirements for XenServer 5.5? - Server Fault
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now