RabbieBurns Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 Just a quick question.. can office 2007 and 2010 open up OpenOffice files by default?
EduTech Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 I believe not, when you save the file in openoffice you have to change the file type to .doc James. 1
RabbieBurns Posted January 29, 2010 Author Posted January 29, 2010 Ok thanks. Is there an addon for office to open them or do I need to install the whole OO suite as well as office?
EduTech Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 Ok thanks. Is there an addon for office to open them or do I need to install the whole OO suite as well as office? You would need to download openoffice along side Microsoft Office, I have actually just done it so that i could be 110% sure and when you create a document using OpenOffice when you go to open it with Microsoft Word it says that it is Corrupt. If you do it the otherway, create a document in Microsoft Office and then open it with OpenOffice that works fine James. 1
RabbieBurns Posted January 29, 2010 Author Posted January 29, 2010 Thanks. Ill just install OO as well.
CraigM Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 Office 2007 with SP2 lets you open up most OpenOffice docs, though formatting might be a bit strange and off, due to them only supporting ODF1.1 or something. From what I read, Office 2010 will be much better at it, as it will fully support ODF1.2, which is the format used by the more recent OpenOffice versions. I believe that Office 2007 didn't get the full support because the ODF 1.2 standard was still being finalised at the time. 1
EduTech Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 Office 2007 with SP2 lets you open up most OpenOffice docs, though formatting might be a bit strange and off, due to them only supporting ODF1.1 or something. From what I read, Office 2010 will be much better at it, as it will fully support ODF1.2, which is the format used by the more recent OpenOffice versions. I believe that Office 2007 didn't get the full support because the ODF 1.2 standard was still being finalised at the time. Oh Great Stuff, I checked is as i read somewhere it did work put was not brilliant... seems that's the answer make sure you have SP2 installed. I aint running Office 2010, was going to check that this morning when @ work but seem's as you have already mentioned it.. Ta James.
featured_spectre Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 2010 has opened up OO Docs without an issue, formatting has been ever so slightly off but thats negligable.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now