Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've had an interesting day with FoxIT PDF Reader,

 

Basically I upgraded from version 2 to version 3.1 and found some rather annoying things

 

1) It doesn't register itself as the default PDF viewer until you start it

 

2) In my domain the users never see this prompt.

 

3) As with most of us, users don't have access to edit the registry, and it seems to require this.

 

First off I thought this was just a problem with reg keys, so I did a snapshot of running it as admin then wrapped up the registry keys and tested on a machine.

 

The snapshot didn't find anything else different, so I compared two fresh images (one fixed) contents and still nothing.

 

I found that it still didn't work unitl I opened FoxIt and press the 'Make Default PDF Reader' Option, even though it was already ticked.

 

I have fixed using a runas script at login to run the reader with the -register switch.

 

Anyone got any other ideas?. I've looked at permissions, but with little joy, and in it's defence it's 100 times better than Acrobat Reader!

Posted
I haven't noticed this on my domain. What I have seen is an increase in the number of "corrupt" files that won't open. I'll check in the morning to see which users have or have not been upgraded to version 3.1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...