Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi Everyone

 

I need to deploy IE7 to just less then 300 computers, and I’ve decided to use the IEAK7 method of creating my own msi package to deploy the software using AD.

 

Well, the package has been made fine, and it installs on boot.

 

However, here's the problem.

 

We of course have many policies relating to internet explorer settings (proxy server, favourites and proxy exceptions etc). I have a hunch that all these settings are being applied on logon (on the computer which has just had IE installed)...but then they all get stripped off at the end of the logon procedure...thus not allowing an internet connection.

 

Why do I think this?

 

Well, on my first try at making the Msi, I told IEAK7 to use the connection settings (LAN settings) of the computer I was making the Msi from. This host computer had a proxy server set...but nothing else. When the Msi was made...and deployed...the computers which had received the Msi had a proxy server set...but nothing else (coincidence?)

 

So, I made another msi...and decided not to use the same connection settings of the host computer...which left me in the situation I’m left in now.

 

I realise it’s a strange story...and I hope people can be bothered to read it (and hopefully understand what I’m trying to say)

 

Thanks

 

Aaron

Posted

We have exactly the same issue with IE8 deployment with IEAK.

 

There seems to be something wrong with the IEAK tool.

 

All proxy settings are wiped after upgraded from IE6 to IE8 using this tool. Almost as if the policy isn't applying.

 

When running the following from command line IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe /passive /update-no /norestart, everything appears to work correctly with the GPO’s still applying

 

At no point to be either change the policy, move the computer to a different OU or change the user account we're logging on with.

 

We currently have a call logged with Microsoft :D

  • 4 months later...
Posted
Dead thread and a problem long since solved I'm sure, but for reference of anyone searching it appears settings (even blank) set in IEAK conflict with group policy. Thus you either need to build a package without configuring proxies (if that is an option) or just do what we did and deploy entirely from the Microsoft download and use Group Policy to control everything (if you update the ADM you can stop the welcome screen running etc.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...