ZeroHour Posted May 17, 2007 Posted May 17, 2007 You should use the cache locally if possible. Our users cant access c drive either (with GP). All you need to do is grant permissions to the folder for your pupils and the error should go away.
Andi Posted May 17, 2007 Posted May 17, 2007 Ok, that's fair enough. They have full access to the default cache folder but the error still occurs. Could it be the My Places path?
Andi Posted May 17, 2007 Posted May 17, 2007 Ok, the story so far. I've deployed the msi that ZeroHour created. Set the permissions on the c:\google folder so that everyone has full control. When I run the program as a test student I get: Google Earth could not write to the current cache or myplaces file location. The values will be set as follows: My places path: "\\servername\userappdata\tt.tester\Application Data\Google\Google Earth\" Cache path: "C:\Documents and Settings\tt.tester\local settings\application data\google\google earth" I click OK and the program starts, but I want to avoid this error if possible. Could it be down to redirected appdata folders?
ZeroHour Posted May 17, 2007 Posted May 17, 2007 why do you use a unc for my places path? try changing that to the local path, e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\google\google earth\ Or just leave the default. With the cache permissions in place (which the MSI does automatically - or it should) does it work? PM me if you prefer to carry this on in private.
MkII Posted May 30, 2007 Posted May 30, 2007 He's not using it the program is trying to set that itself. Did you resolve this one ZH?
Andi Posted May 31, 2007 Posted May 31, 2007 No this still hasn't been resolved despite ZH's best attempts. I've been away for 2 weeks though so that won't have helped. I've tried it with Google's 4.1 MSI that they now supply and I'm getting the same problem, which is down to the fact that I redirect my users appdata folder to a network share using GPO I believe.
ZeroHour Posted May 31, 2007 Posted May 31, 2007 I will be trying to cure this issue for version 4.1 with a transform. I will post results links here if I add notes to the google earth 4.1 thread.
Mr.Ben Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 I have this same problem, GE 4 can't find the users appdata folder. However after the error message it does go on to work.
liamw Posted June 19, 2009 Posted June 19, 2009 Sorry to revive a dead thread, but has anyone got an updated MSI for Google Earth that they're able to link me to or send? Many thanks!
skinoski Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 You can now download my MSI from: My Hosting Mirror - For details of availability PM me The user cache is stored in c:\program files\google\google earth\usercache It is set to use a maximum of 400mb as per the default. Everyone has full write permissions on the usercache folder. PM me if you have any problems. If you download from me please post a message saying, just so I know how popular it is. If my MSI's are popular I will upload more that may be of use. thanks.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now