Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've been using an SSH tunnel to a server I have set up in my house, when I set it up it worked great and I could use resources on my home network.

 

The problem I have is that since I've started doing this my router, server and cable modem seem to be taking it in turns to go down. The last time it went down I was connected to it on my computer here and using the connection. I needed to restart my computer, and after it was restarted I couldn't connect to my remote server. I can't use it now until I've been home to fix it.

 

What I'm wondering is this: Did my reboot upset my router/server in some way, am I supposed to do something before simply breaking the connection?

 

I'm also wondering if EMBC or Virgin Media have noticed the connection and are actively killing it off? I don't think it's EMBC because although I haven't been home yet I know the router or server is definitely down - I've tried it from a VPS hosted outside of the network.

 

Any ideas anyone?

Posted

I very much doubt Virgin have killed as i've been using ssh on my cable for years.

 

So as to the problem - you know either your router or server can't connect over ssh - but can they connect any other way? Ie is the server serving webpages, torrent server, nx server or anything else?

 

As for your reboot causing the issue I doubt if was that as you can normally connect multiple times with the same account. As you know you've got flaky kit i'd wait untill you get home and investigate

Posted
Yeah, I know it was definitely down... it stopped serving webpages, responding to ping... everything. I looked at it when I came home and it looks like the router crapped out again (I power cycled it, came straight back up). The server was still on and perfectly happy - just with no internet connection! Weird... now I think of it, I've been using ssh on this particular box for months and never had an issue until I started using ssh tunnels. Or at least it seemed to coincide with that, maybe it's a coincidence and it's not anything to do with ssh?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...