soveryapt Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 Right, ok, I have googled and tried different things but here's the story... I've just redone our school website (done an inbetween solution as they want to bring Moodle on stream properly sometime soon so it's more a static site than anything else) .. Anyway, the old site was stored in /2 and I've moved the new site to the root so what I want to do is redirect all the: Accrington St Mary Magdalen's CE Primary School traffic to: http://www.accringtonstmarymagdalens.co.uk/ Now, using the standard: Redirect 301 /2 http://www.accringtonstmarymagdalens.co.uk/ Is great, only that is maps the old page name (for instance St Mary Magdalen's Primary School) to the new location (http://www.accringtonstmarymagdalens.co.uk/main.shtml) when that page doesn't exist in the new location. I think I'm writing in looking to do some sort of rewrite, but I'm out of practice with .htaccess files and the things I'm trying don't seem to be working, so, any suggestions? Ta Andy
tmcd35 Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 I've always used a HTML meta tag in the header. Works for me... HTML tips: Redirect to a new page
soveryapt Posted December 1, 2009 Author Posted December 1, 2009 I've always used a HTML meta tag in the header. Works for me... HTML tips: Redirect to a new page Yeah, problem there is going through the hundreds of pages for the old site (really, you should see it, no page calling of uniform variables on the site, just hundreds of pages of bleurgh) .. Plus, HTML Meta Tags are great if you have no other option, but .htaccess redirects are more secure and better for page rankings on search engines and all that jazz ..
webman Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 Something like this should work if you're using mod_rewrite. RewriteBase /2/ RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.accringtonstmarymagdalens.co.uk/ [R=permanent,L]
soveryapt Posted December 1, 2009 Author Posted December 1, 2009 Something like this should work if you're using mod_rewrite. RewriteBase /2/ RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.accringtonstmarymagdalens.co.uk/ [R=permanent,L] Ta, just tried that but get this : The page isn't redirecting properly Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete. * This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies. It's similar to what I tried before but I just got //main.shtml previously ..
soveryapt Posted December 2, 2009 Author Posted December 2, 2009 Sussed it (thanks to Beyond Redirect: Using ReWriteRule in .htaccess) .. Options +FollowSymlinks RewriteEngine on RewriteOptions MaxRedirects=10 RewriteRule ^2/(.+)$ http://www.accringtonstmarymagdalens.co.uk [R=301,NC] Now to get the thing to redirect a non www. site to a www. site without getting the result of http://www.accringtonstmarymagdalens.co.uk/www.accringtonstmarymagdalens.co.uk .. lol ..
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now