mac_shinobi Posted November 17, 2009 Posted November 17, 2009 Just found this which may or may not be of interest Cerberus Networks - Internet Services and Managed IT Systems 1
tmcd35 Posted November 17, 2009 Posted November 17, 2009 (edited) How easy is it to move/extend the second ADSL line so that it is nearer the first? Makes it easier to use a load balancing router if you can get the two in one place. This sounds most like the proper answer - it sounds like how a network is supposed to be designed. So, my options (if I've got the right idea here) include buying a switch or router to replace the central switch (dell PowerConnect 2724) we have at the moment. Also don't forget that the satalite routers/adsl lines are still geographically far apart so the data still has to go from the central router over the network to the additional router/adsl line. Edited November 17, 2009 by tmcd35
dhicks Posted November 17, 2009 Author Posted November 17, 2009 but having 6 ADSL lines costs money as well I can't start canceling the extra, currently-unused ADSL lines until I'm sure I'm cancelling the right ones. No-one has any records of any account numbers, they just pay the bills which turn up each month. I aim to have two ADSL connections connected and working, then start canceling what I think/hope are the spare ones one by one, with the idea that if I cancel the wrong one I'll at least have a spare... plus you're not going to get the performance you expect as they will all be going back to the same exchange which will cause contention issues as they will be sharing the same bandwidth. Have you got quotes for leased lines or SDSL? I did a quick Google for leased line prices, they would seem to be an order of magnitude greater than ADSL (£300 per month compared with £30 per month). One of our ADSL connections is a fancy new ADSL2 connection, which I assumed went back and plugged in to different equipment at the exchange. -- David Hicks
dhicks Posted November 17, 2009 Author Posted November 17, 2009 Or Cable ( which may mean virgin media ) assuming there is cable in your area ? Nope, no cable here. Also your question mentions ADSL - is this ADSL 2+ from someone like BeThere Yes, the second ADSL connection I'm hoping to add is from Be (I understand we can adjust our upload/download bandwidth ratio a bit in favour of faster upload speeds, which will be handy as we're running our own web server). The current one we're using is from BT. Is there some kind of issue? -- David Hicks
mac_shinobi Posted November 17, 2009 Posted November 17, 2009 Nope, no cable here. Yes, the second ADSL connection I'm hoping to add is from Be (I understand we can adjust our upload/download bandwidth ratio a bit in favour of faster upload speeds, which will be handy as we're running our own web server). The current one we're using is from BT. Is there some kind of issue? -- David Hicks Not that I am aware of myself - unless anyone else can shed some light on the Be and BT ADSL lines ?
Guest Guest Posted November 17, 2009 Posted November 17, 2009 (edited) Have a look at Endian firewall. It does failover, not 100% sure it does load balencing but i would have thought it would. i think the commmunity edition can do it too. Endian - Overview As said the only proper solutions are; 1 router with 2 WAN interfaces, 2 WAN routers and a 3rd load balencer, or 2 routers in cluster mode (cant ISA do that?) pfSense does it to an extent too. http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=43 Edited November 17, 2009 by Guest
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now