gloriousglenn Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 Hi everybody, I have Volume Shadow Copy enabled on my Server 2003 system and if I click on the drive letter and select Properties > Shadow Copies I can see the various backups. I am trying to get a file back from a couple of days ago and if I click on that particular day/time under "Shadow copies of selected volume", I only get the option of "Create New", "Delete Now", and "Revert". Now I am (pretty) sure that in the past if I double click on the date I can then navigate to the file/folder that I want to retrieve....or I also had the option of a "View" button. For some reason i am not able to do this since I have rebuilt our server. Also, I used to be able to Right Click > Properties on a file and a Previous Versions tab would be available...That isn't there either! Does anybody have any ideas what I've done wrong?!! Cheers Glenn
pete Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 Use the UNC path. so instead of logging onto the server and looking at drive X:\sharedfoldername browse to \\server\sharedfoldername 1
FN-GM Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 If you are doing it from the server try doing it on a client machine 1
buzzard Posted October 28, 2009 Posted October 28, 2009 (edited) As petes said need sto use the UNC path, won't work from a local machine ie the server mapped to itself (if you follow!) better explained by MS Q. I'm logged on locally to the server. How do I access shadow copies? A. This feature requires the Common Internet File System (CIFS) file sharing protocol to work—even if you are working on a server that stores shadow copies locally. Therefore, to see previous versions, loop back: for example, from Start, Run, connect to \\localhost\c$. This will enable the client running on the server to access previous versions. taken from - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/scrfaq.mspx Edited October 28, 2009 by buzzard 1
gloriousglenn Posted October 28, 2009 Author Posted October 28, 2009 Nice one guys...I logged onto the DNS Server, mapped a drive to the shared folder File Server and hey presto the 'Previous Versions' tabs are there!! If I wasn't already married I would marry all of you in here!!! Many thanks again Glenn
devildog Posted December 14, 2012 Posted December 14, 2012 I have a little different take on this one. Went to restore a previous version and the tab was gone. Even tried it from a client machine and still no tab. After a few minutes the tab just "appeared" again. Not sure what is going on or if it has anything to with the VSS service. At the present time previous versions tab is still showing with the VSS both started and stopped. Any ideas?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now