Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have a strange problem witha new install of Ubuntu.

 

Our ip range is 192.168.0.0/23

 

with most servers, switches, printers, WAPs on the 192.168.0 and the clients start at 192.168.1.1 but the default gateway and proxy is 192.168.1.254.

 

Now for some reason the new server just wont connect with that IP no ping no nothing. It will ping all the local servers on the 0.0 range and the random clients on the 1.0 range but just not 192.168.1.254.

 

The default gateway is just a stock smoothie at the moment so nothing exotic there and I have already discounted it being a subnet mask problem by pinging a few clients.

 

So is there some reason it might think that 192.168.1.254 is an invalid ip for that network or something?

Posted

Assuming your using classless (CIDR) notation 192.168.0.0/23 gives you two class C networks or 512 IPs. Everything from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.254. 192.168.0.0 is your network address. 192.168.1.255 is your broadcast address.

 

One gotcha is that Linux allows you to specify these options seperately. It's perfectly possible to supply a correct IP and netmask and give a rubbish broadcast address.

 

Also, what does the output from 'ifconfig' and 'route' look like?

Posted

I tried playing with the broadcast address. It had been set to 192.168.1.255 which I assumed was correct but I tried 192.168.0.255 on the off chance.

 

I will check out the routing table tommorow.

 

It just seems it doesnt like that one IP.

 

I thought at first it was the NIC and used a different machine of the same model.

 

I have had stock debian installed fine so not quiete sure whats up with this.

Posted

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
localnet        *                       255.255.0.0     U      0      0        0 eth0
default         fmproxy.fisherm 0.0.0.0            UG    0      0        0 eth0

 

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.8
netmask 255.255.0.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.6

 

Heres the info above.

Posted

As Geoff says your netmask doesn't match your description of using 192.168.0.0/23. (it matches 192.168.0.0/16)

 

What netmask do the other machines on the net use?

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted

Yeah sorry it was 255.255.254.0 I just changed it to try and get it to see more of the network.

 

It will pick up a dhcp address and it will ping any IP in the 1.0 range apart from 1.254

Posted
It will ping right upto 192.168.1.253 :lol: how very annoying. I would be willing to change the proxy IP to get round this if it wasnt for all the manually configured laptops we have.
Posted
Ubuntu is a lamp install from the cd with only ssh server added. The proxy is a smoothwall box with advanced proxy installed. So as far as I can see there is nothing special configured.
Posted

Have you anything clever (VPN) setup on your switches that might be causing problems on that port?

 

Does changing ports make any diff.

 

If you boot off a different distro LiveCD - can you ping the proxy now?

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted

Ok after having another play with this I have found that any of my windows servers/clients get a response straight away. I have changed the port and network cable and I have swopped the machine completely yesterday when it was displaying these charateristics.

I have now found that if I leave the ping cmd running it starts displaying the replies after 2 minutes.

I ahve replicated this with a VM on my workstation but that doesnt get a response for ten minutes :\ .

I am going do a vanilla debian install now to see whats what.

 

Ps I have verified the disc

Posted

I have a full compliment of HP Procurve switches with nothing fancy set on them at the moment. The Ubuntu server it connected to the core switch which connects to every other switch around the school through fibre. The router/proxy is running on an old but decent workstation running smoothwall GPL with the advanced proxy mod.

Like I say everything else gets a response instantly it just doesnt seem to like these Ubuntu installs :p

Posted
Connect the Ubuntu box using a crossover cable to the LAN side of the Smoothwall box to eliminate any other cabling and/or switch defects that could be causing this problem.
Posted
Im starting to think it is the Smoothwall box for some reason as I left the Debian installing when I left and it could not get the security updates but will check properly tommorow.
Posted

Well I have got it sorted now it was the Smoothwall box and for some reason it didnt want to play nicely with any of Linux box no matter what IP etc it was on!!!! Anyway I have sorted out my CN box and all is well :)

Strange? I think so :p

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...