Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

 

We have three server, one is Windows 2000, the second is WIndows 2003 and the third is Windows 2003 R2. We don't really use the first one, so I'll not mention it again.

 

The problem is that recently I tried to edit a policy that we use to lock down the desktop for students and I couldn't because the administrative template that I was trying to use (Windows Copmponents -> Internet Explorer) was missing from the GPMC, like this

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/GPO_Problem/447560302_orig0.jpg

 

 

When I tried to edit the policy from server 3 I got the following "Inaccessible" message http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/GPO_Problem/447560302_orig2.jpg

 

 

This is what the screen looks like back from server 2

http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/GPO_Problem/447560302_orig1.jpg

 

Does this make sense to anyone?

 

Thanks - Simon

Edited by SimonWindisch
Posted

When you're adding a new adm file GP Management tries to read the adm files from the local machine - they won't be the same on each machine unless you've copied them between machines. So your w2k server won't have the w2003 adms. Looks like you've got a few mismatches, e.g. w2000 policy files on w2003 and vice-versa.

 

The way round this is to copy all the adm files you want into a shared network folder and browse there to load them. You're then loading the correct version whichever server you're viewing from.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

This is a bit weird, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else comes across this problem...

 

When I go to edit the policy again the WIndows components go missing again, and sometimes I remove them all and add them all and it still doesn't work.

 

So I've discovered that if I add them in the following order it's fine.

 

wmplayer

conf

system

inetres

wuav

 

I can then edit the policy successfully but when I close the editor session and reopen, those components have gone missing again.

 

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...