rob998 Posted January 19, 2010 Posted January 19, 2010 How do you guys get around using SSL site using this version of FF. I cannot access my OWA or Portal, just getting a timed out message for each. Rob
6Foot2 Posted January 19, 2010 Posted January 19, 2010 How do you guys get around using SSL site using this version of FF. I cannot access my OWA or Portal, just getting a timed out message for each. Rob Not helpful I know [unless other replies are similar to mine] this aspect worked straight away wothout any extra work required from me.
Michael Posted January 19, 2010 Author Posted January 19, 2010 How do you guys get around using SSL site using this version of FF. If you're using a proxy, within the exceptions make sure localhost and 127.0.0.1 are listed as a minimum otherwise accessing SSL sites will fail. 1
Arthur Posted January 20, 2010 Posted January 20, 2010 [/url]Looks like Mozilla will be releasing Firefox 3.6 tomorrow at 5.30 p.m. Firefox 3.6 will be available for download at www.firefox.com on Thursday, January 21st at 9:30am Pacific Standard Time.
Edu-IT Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 It's been released. Do you plan to make this available Michael anytime soon? Looking at deploying Firefox to a few machines so makes sense to hold off if you're working on this. Any chance you can also summarise again what you've done to this version or point me in the direction of the latest explanation? The first post hasn't been updated and I assume you've tweaked it again since October.
Michael Posted January 24, 2010 Author Posted January 24, 2010 Yes I have been playing since the day of release. All the mods I implement work apart from the Favorites add-on. I believe Mozilla have slightly changed the way add-ons work and secondly Plain-Old-Favorites doesn't work with FF 3.6 (yet). Eventually you will be able to upgrade 3.5.7 to 3.6.0, so don't worry about that. In short: - The Bookmarks menu is replaced with Favorites (just like IE). This allows the user to switch between IE and FF and read from the same list dynamically - The about:config menu is disabled - The import Favorites Wizard is disabled at first use - The Tools > Options menu is all greyed out - Proxy Settings and Exceptions can be pre-configured - The Homepage can be pre-configured - Deployable using an MSI
Edu-IT Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 Great, thanks. Do we still have to request the homepage and proxy from you or can we do this ourselves?
Michael Posted January 24, 2010 Author Posted January 24, 2010 No you can do it yourself by reading this - hope this explains all 1
Edu-IT Posted January 24, 2010 Posted January 24, 2010 Great! Something to sink my teeth into this week.
rob998 Posted January 26, 2010 Posted January 26, 2010 If you're using a proxy, within the exceptions make sure localhost and 127.0.0.1 are listed as a minimum otherwise accessing SSL sites will fail. Hi, I have checked and I do have the entries in the exception field but still getting timed out when trying to access OWA and RM KLP. Any suggestions? Thanks, Rob
Michael Posted January 26, 2010 Author Posted January 26, 2010 I have checked and I do have the entries in the exception field but still getting timed out when trying to access OWA and RM KLP. Any suggestions? As an experiment uninstall the Mozilla Firefox (3.5.7) Logistix package and download the standard Mozilla Firefox from mozilla.org. Configure proxy settings through Tools > Options. Do you still have the same problem(s)?
Michael Posted January 26, 2010 Author Posted January 26, 2010 (edited) Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Logistix released. Scroll below for information... Edited January 28, 2010 by Michael
Arthur Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 The about:config modification no longer works. It works fine prior to upgrading FF 3.5.7 Do you mean the extension compatibility check? If so, Mozilla changed this in 3.6 from extensions.checkCompatibility to extensions.checkCompatibility.version.
Michael Posted January 27, 2010 Author Posted January 27, 2010 I mean when upgrading FF 3.5.7 to 3.6, your disableAboutConfig.js file no longer prevents the user entering about:config. Try it
Arthur Posted January 28, 2010 Posted January 28, 2010 Haven't got round to testing that yet, but thanks for mentioning it though. I'll see if I can get it working with v3.6 or come up with an alternative. Might have to wait until the Firefox CCK Wizard add-on is updated though.
Michael Posted January 28, 2010 Author Posted January 28, 2010 Good news, the Mozilla Firefox (3.6) Logistix pack has been released! Download the latest version at logistixonline.com Apologies for the delay, but additional testing was required to ensure reliability and consistency For your reference you can upgrade from any prior version. Below are the final specs: - I have modified and tested the 'plainoldfavorites' addon, so it'll work with up to Firefox 4.5 theoretically. The Bookmarks menu is replaced with Favorites (just like IE). This allows the user to switch between IE and FF and read from the same list dynamically - The about:config modification no longer works. It works fine prior to upgrading FF 3.5.7 - The import Favorites Wizard is disabled at first use - The Tools > Options menu is all greyed out - Proxy Settings and Exceptions can be pre-configured - The Homepage can be pre-configured - Deployable using an MSI Firefox 3.6 is also noticeably faster, especially when scrolling the forums on Edugeek!
Arthur Posted January 28, 2010 Posted January 28, 2010 (edited) I mean when upgrading FF 3.5.7 to 3.6, your disableAboutConfig.js file no longer prevents the user entering about:config. Try it I've come up with another alternative for v3.6 which works the same way as the file:/// block. Put this in your userContent.css file. @-moz-document url("about:config") { #config #configDeck { display: none !important; } } Edited January 28, 2010 by Arthur
Edu-IT Posted January 28, 2010 Posted January 28, 2010 So, does about:config work in your release Michael?
Arthur Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 Edu-IT. It does (at least at the moment). Michael. Have you disabled the new 'Personas' feature in your version? If not, you may want to add this to your Mozilla.cfg. lockPref("xpinstall.whitelist.add.36", ""); Alternatively, you could use the userChromeJS extension along with this code to achieve the same.
Michael Posted January 29, 2010 Author Posted January 29, 2010 I am currently working on a Mozilla Firefox 3.6 v2 Logistix, I'll post it online shortly
Michael Posted January 29, 2010 Author Posted January 29, 2010 Update - Unfortunately I still cannot prevent about:config from appearing with either of your methods Arthur!? Any ideas? The Firefox Personas tweak only works when moving the cursor over a persona. If you click 'wear it' like on this page, then allow, the persona still works/appears.
Arthur Posted January 29, 2010 Posted January 29, 2010 Thanks for letting me know. I'll investigate further when I get home tonight.
Arthur Posted January 30, 2010 Posted January 30, 2010 (edited) Good news, Michael! Can you try the attached extension I have created using the beta version of the new CCK Wizard? I have tested it with a clean install of Firefox v3.6 and it works perfectly. Btw, since I can't attach .xpi files I have RAR'd it. The add-on is inside. I'm still working on a way to disable Personas. In the interim I suppose people can block getpersonas.com on their proxy server? DisableAboutConfig.rar Edited January 30, 2010 by Arthur
Arthur Posted February 1, 2010 Posted February 1, 2010 (edited) According to one of the Mozillazine forum moderators there is no official method of disabling the Personas feature in Firefox v3.6. However, if you don't mind using yet another extension, you can prevent Personas from being installed using a combination of the userChromeJS add-on plus the code shown below (source) which should be added to the end of your userChrome.js file in your profile folder. The file attached to this post contains a modified version of the userChromeJS extension which does this for you automatically when it is installed. N.B. This will only prevent new Personas from being installed. It won't stop existing Personas from being used. LightWeightThemeWebInstaller = null;userChromeJS_mod.rar Edited February 1, 2010 by Arthur
mdking Posted February 4, 2010 Posted February 4, 2010 Firefox actually has the ability to load its configuration from another location on your network such as an internal web server. This allows you to centrally manage the configuration for all of your Firefox installations. If you Google autoadmin.global_config_url you will be able to find out how to do this. Rather than redeploying the Firefox package to update the mozilla.cfg you could use a startup/shutdown script or even Group Policy Preferences if you have it. I have just been looking through this thread a lot of great information However i am still trying to find away of having a configuration file in a main location. Once Firefox loads, it uses that config file. I have "googled" autoadmin.global_config_url with no joy Any help would be great many thanks Matt
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now