Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Well it had to happen - mass roll out of IE8 via WSUS. Set the GPO to force IE7 mode, turn the button off and so on.

 

Everything going smooth and it works until.... nobody can download files from websites. The error message:

 

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator

 

So we find an answer on the internet and follow the steps - no go. It doesn't want to play.

 

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.

 

Can WSUS reverse an installation? Or am I going to have to write some sort of script file to remove IE8 on startup?

 

Has anyone had this problem?

 

GJE

Posted
Have you checked Download settings under the Internet zone to check File Downloads are enabled?

 

I've just changed the GPO to look at that. It wasn't configured for IE7 so I assumed it would not be needed for IE8.

 

All I need to do now is let the policy changes kick in.

 

Thanks

 

GJE

Posted
You might also want to check, under custom security, "Launching applications and unsafe files". That's the one that stops Firefox downloading when they started using IE security settings.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
You might also want to check, under custom security, "Launching applications and unsafe files". That's the one that stops Firefox downloading when they started using IE security settings.

 

Thanks everyone for the help. IN the end I sat down and went through every gpo setting that was enabled/disabled. We found one that stopped file/software downloads.

 

I think I clicked it to Enable to stop kids downloading .exe files. I didn't realise it would stop everything downloading. So I disabled it again. It worked.

 

My fault. Hands up.

 

So thanks everyone once again

 

Gareth

Posted (edited)
Can WSUS reverse an installation? Or am I going to have to write some sort of script file to remove IE8 on startup?

 

If you do need to do this, I've had something similar to do recently. A certain group of machines needing to revert back to IE6 from IE7 [due to some deliciously annoying program they all use]..

 

The key to it [for those that dont know] is to target them differently in WSUS:

 

Create a seperate GPO with a different computer group target, with the computer objects within a AD group and naturally only allow this GPO to apply to this AD group, and then remove IEx on the client machines, and reset the WU on the client machines.

 

You can use this new group to prevent WSUS from allowing install of IEx on these machines :)

 

Removing the version you dont want can be batch scripted. For IE 7 at least, you can try this:

 

start /wait %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart

 

EDIT: typed this a while ago but forgot to click the post button.... *sigh*....curry was more important.

 

All the best.

Nath

Edited by tarquel
doh!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...