powdarrmonkey Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 (this is a personal purchase, not a school one) I'm hunting high and low for a network switch of at least four ports with wireless built-in, but not a router, modem etc. It should act just like a combined switch and wireless access point, and preferably for less than about £50. I'm hoping Simon or Dan will have some bright ideas Bonus marks if it also supports WPA(2)-PSK, beer if it supports WPA(2)-Radius or 802.11a (having both doesn't get you double beer, sorry). kthxbye
Haptic Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 (this is a personal purchase, not a school one) I'm hunting high and low for a network switch of at least four ports with wireless built-in, but not a router, modem etc. It should act just like a combined switch and wireless access point, and preferably for less than about £50. I'm hoping Simon or Dan will have some bright ideas Bonus marks if it also supports WPA(2)-PSK, beer if it supports WPA(2)-Radius or 802.11a (having both doesn't get you double beer, sorry). kthxbye Will get onto this straight away fella,
mac_shinobi Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 something similiar to this dabs.com - Edimax Wireless Access Point & 5-Port Switch (EW-7209APG) Obviously not sure about edimax though as a make and also it states to set a static ip address as it wont pickup an ip address from dhcp ( not sure if that includes a dhcp reservation ) ?? Unless you get into the ruckus side of things http://www.wlanmall.com/zoneflex-2925-wifi-access-point-element-smart-antenna-port-switch-p-1021.html Simon can help you with the Ruckus side of things though
Haptic Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 personally I would steer clear of Edimax as a brand , they have quite a high return rate, how about Wireless Access Point Router w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g £50.00inc vat Free Del http://img.misco.co.uk/images/uploadedimages/large/20070118123546.jpg All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and Wireless-G (draft 802.11g) Access Point Wireless data rates up to 54Mbps--5 times faster than Wireless-B (802.11b) Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G clients Also interoperates with Wireless-B devices (at 11Mbps) Advanced wireless security with 128-bit WEP encryption, MAC or IP address filtering Note: This router requires an external cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet interface 1
mac_shinobi Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 Personally I would just use a dedicated switch and buy a seperate wireless access point ie a linksys or netgear 8 or 10 port gigabit switch and a Pre N wireless access point ie linksys or netgear Personally I would use the same make of switch and WAP ie if you go with linksys then use linksys for both and the same for netgear.
ictstbenedicts Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 Personally I would just use a dedicated switch and buy a seperate wireless access point ie a linksys or netgear 8 or 10 port gigabit switch and a Pre N wireless access point ie linksys or netgear Personally I would use the same make of switch and WAP ie if you go with linksys then use linksys for both and the same for netgear. I run a D-link 24 port 10/100 switch (from-ebay) and a Netgear WAP (also e-bay). The switch is in the office at home on the 1st floor and the WAP is in the loft. I purchased a generic passive power injector also off eBay for £15 which powers the WAP in the loft so when I don't want to use wireless around the house, I can lock it down by turning off the access point fro 100% wireless security. Yes, my WAP has security wireless enabled. It also saves energy (although not much). All this connects to my Thompson Speedtouch 546 ADSL router, which is not wireless. The make of switch should not have any influence on make of WAP, if this was the case we would all being buying laptops/ PCs with NICs to match our home network equipment!
powdarrmonkey Posted August 28, 2009 Author Posted August 28, 2009 Actually that Edimax thing is nearly perfect, except I don't trust them. It's put me on the right track to finding this though: Buffalo Technology - Products - WLI-TX4-AG300N : Wireless-N Nfiniti Dual Band Ethernet Converter This is the only bit that makes me worry: "Up to four wired devices can be converted to wireless, you don't need to have a LAN cable from each device to your router" but I presume that's because it's replacing a four-port switch and they've just muddled the words. Simon, if you can beat £50 inc vat and delivery, and you can take a personal order by debit card or transfer, I'll order it today
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now