Psymon Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 Installed Vista SP2 on a few machines at the start of this month when it came out and it messed up the Client Size Extensions (Preferences in Server 2008 Group Policy) After a bit of playing / googling turned out the CSE MS Update wasnt "applicable" to SP2 of vista. Downloaded the new one (Released on 23rd of this month) and all works as intended. Added it using "Import Updates..." by KB number onto WSUS and works Si 1
AngryTechnician Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 I was wondering when MS would finally fix this debacle. What really beggars belief is that it was never documented by MS, and neither the Group Policy Team Blog nor the WSUS Product Team Blog mentioned the problem, or its subsequent fix. Then again, they didn't mention it when the exact same thing happened with XP SP3. The question now is why the fix hasn't been published via WSUS already. I used to really like Group Policy Preferences, but MS seems to be treating it like some ugly stepchild that it doesn't care about. How long before it next goes awry, I wonder?
cookie_monster Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 (edited) As Group Policy Preferences is a set of tools that MS bought called desktop standard you wonder if they're having a few issues integrating them as well as they thought they could. Either that or they turned out to be very handy and are impacting sales of other paid for products. Edited June 30, 2009 by cookie_monster
AngryTechnician Posted June 30, 2009 Posted June 30, 2009 I think it's the former. I've seen a few angry forum posts from former PolicyMaker users who have found the product has gotten more unreliable in some ways since the buyout. I can personally testify that the ODBC configuration never seems to work. Could be I'm not following the manual correctly. If only such a thing existed so I could refer to it.
Psymon Posted July 1, 2009 Author Posted July 1, 2009 I was wondering when MS would finally fix this debacle. What really beggars belief is that it was never documented by MS, and neither the Group Policy Team Blog nor the WSUS Product Team Blog mentioned the problem, or its subsequent fix. Then again, they didn't mention it when the exact same thing happened with XP SP3. The question now is why the fix hasn't been published via WSUS already. I used to really like Group Policy Preferences, but MS seems to be treating it like some ugly stepchild that it doesn't care about. How long before it next goes awry, I wonder? Fix is on WSUS but it has to be manually imported using the MS Catalogue Si
cookie_monster Posted July 1, 2009 Posted July 1, 2009 Psymon, do you have a link with info on that? Thanks.
Psymon Posted July 1, 2009 Author Posted July 1, 2009 Psymon, do you have a link with info on that? Thanks. Dont have an actual Doc on it but its really easy, attatched is a word doc with what i did. PsyAdding Updates from MS Catalogue.docx 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now