Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

How to get rid of desk top web page when booting up.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all.

My first help post so be gentle with me !.

Some of the little darlings have been down loading a web page onto the desk top. To remove it I have right click on the desk top >Properties >web>web page > delete.. That gets rid of it from the desk top but I can never get rid of the page when you boot up the computer you can still see the particular page for a few seconds.

How do I stop it doing this ?. is there a cache for this page or is it a picture file ?.

 

W2k, Individual computers.not on a domain.

 

Regards.Michael.

Posted

You should be able to disable active desktop in the local computer policies. This may take a while if you have a lot of machines unfortunately.

 

If you find out the registry keys for doing this and run a registry fix at computer startup to change the setting this will mean that it turns it off if some little darling does re-enable it.

Posted

Thanks ric . could the fix be put on a floppy or a file that I could load onto each computer ?

All the computers run on a network mainly for the internet and my use for updates etc...Is there any way I could do the lot at one go ?.

I'm thinking about putting them on a domain ( we had a w2k server donated) then it would be a lot easier . but the problem is I do not know much about w2k server software if something goes wrong .

Posted
I disabled this in the global policies, you can also use this to prevent them adding a wallpaper. It really is worth a look.
Posted

Hi.

Don't forget these are Individual computers and Not on a domain and with W2K Pro. on them.

so no 'Global polices' !.. Is that on W2K Server only ? (which we do not use yet).

and I cannot see any place to disable 'active desktop' in local polices.

Regards.

Posted

I you export the registry key using regedit, the .reg file can be placed onto a floppy disk and then copied onto the hard disk of each machine.

 

You then just need to create a startup script and add the line

 

regedt32.exe -s filename.reg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...