chrbb Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 I've been looking at buying a second user hp mono printer, but my office manager says that the school health and safety policy states that we can't buy second hand electrical goods, is this the same in all schools? (She's not being obstructive as she can see the savings but as health and safety officer has to stick to the rules) If you buy from a company eg ICT Direct, are the goods electrically tested before sale?
Haptic Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 I've been looking at buying a second user hp mono printer, but my office manager says that the school health and safety policy states that we can't buy second hand electrical goods, is this the same in all schools? (She's not being obstructive as she can see the savings but as health and safety officer has to stick to the rules) If you buy from a company eg ICT Direct, are the goods electrically tested before sale? I would imagine ICT Direct PAT test all there equipment before selling Chris,
Little-Miss Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 How wierd, i just assumed you could get it PAT tested or something...
Haptic Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 How wierd, i just assumed you could get it PAT tested or something... I'm sure by law must be PAT tested before sale hun:cool:
chrbb Posted June 9, 2009 Author Posted June 9, 2009 I'm going to contact them tomorrow, I just wondered what 'rules' other schools have. We don't have inhouse pat testing, so would have to get someone in specially.
dhicks Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 I'm going to contact them tomorrow, I just wondered what 'rules' other schools have. We have someone on site who does PAT testing. The laser printers we buy off eBay are sold as "refurbished" and come with a garuntee and so on. -- David Hicks
AngryITGuy Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 If you buy from a company eg ICT Direct, are the goods electrically tested before sale? We recently purchased some refurbished HP dc7600 units from ICT Direct and I can confirm that the units are all PAT tested before being sold. 1
powdarrmonkey Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 It's the first time I've heard of such a rule; perhaps it's something else that's been mis-interpreted?
Dos_Box Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 It's the first time I've heard of such a rule; perhaps it's something else that's been mis-interpreted? I suspect it is alomg the lines of 'creeping professionalism', a strange syndrome which affected the British Army during teh 80's after the Falklands. This is where a course would havbe set aims and objectives for people to acheive to get a pass, but as the standard of instructor got higher and higher so did the pass mark, and in the end very few people were passing certain courses (namely special forces selection) even though they met the criteria. A similar thing happens with H&S where one person reads teh policy and 'improves' on it. Several revisions by differnt people down the line and you have unworkale policies create by people who didn't know what the orgional guidence was in the first place!
chrbb Posted June 9, 2009 Author Posted June 9, 2009 I think it mainly applies to us not being able to accept donated electrical goods from Joe Public as we have no way of testing electrical safety. But when I mentioned second user from an 'offical' supplier it was classed as the same thing:)
powdarrmonkey Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 There's no reason it can't be serviced and tested by your LA if you don't have such a facility in-house, or you could even have a local sparky do it if you're really stuck.
alan-d Posted June 10, 2009 Posted June 10, 2009 I suspect it is alomg the lines of 'creeping professionalism', a strange syndrome which affected the British Army during teh 80's after the Falklands. This is where a course would havbe set aims and objectives for people to acheive to get a pass, but as the standard of instructor got higher and higher so did the pass mark, and in the end very few people were passing certain courses (namely special forces selection) even though they met the criteria. A similar thing happens with H&S where one person reads teh policy and 'improves' on it. Several revisions by differnt people down the line and you have unworkale policies create by people who didn't know what the orgional guidence was in the first place! For some reason BFT sprang to mind! I ended up having to pass it in the same time at the age of 40 as I did when I was 19 . Talk about moving Goalposts
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now