ranj Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 I have a keen interest in civil aviation and would like to know if there are handy binoculars available to watch planes flying at a really high altitude from my loft room, say FL350. I am looking for binoculars that is strong enough to spot and recognize a plane type and airline flying in clear sky when it is passing over my house. When I watch planes crossing in clear blue sky, I wonder what airline could it be. The model and price etc of bincoulars will be very helpful. I dont want to spend too much as its only an interest and i'm just curious of the sort of aircraft passing over my house. Usually aircraft passing is at a very high altitude, say between 30 -- 40 thousand feet. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated. Thanks
ranj Posted June 7, 2009 Author Posted June 7, 2009 Thanks, I have no ideas of what binoculars to get. I dont want to spend too much, budget would be approx £100, could i get some decent ones for this?
tech_guy Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 You're looking at the max mag for your money and a tripod for stability - trying to identify aircraft handheld is going to be difficult even if you have steady hands. I use a spotting scope and I love it. It only cost about £149.
john Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 Have a look at this - Binocular articles He has written a book on them and its a very good seller, he was my geography teacher at school so knows a thing or two about them and the outside world etc
laserblazer Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 (edited) I'd agree that a spotting scope is the way to go. Aldi had one on offer recently. This won't break the bank http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_8&products_id=105302 Edited June 7, 2009 by laserblazer
Jobos Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 With something like this I would recommend trying them before you buy. I recently bought a pair of binoculars from JM Optics Home - JM Optics Ltd. - Binocular and Scope Specialists who were exhibiting at a local show. I spent some time trying the different models and it was surprising how the quality varied between models of the same spec.
Hacksawbob Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 I believe there is software that tracks a planes flight path in real time, good enough to narrow it down to ones in your area.
laserblazer Posted June 7, 2009 Posted June 7, 2009 Have you got a radio scanner so you can listen to them?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now