Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
I have installed the vbox additions, but cannot seem to get it to give me any options higher than 600x800. Also, how do I set it so that the network device gets it's own IP address from the LAN dhcp. Ive used VMware on a windows host before and had it set this way, can virtualbox do it as well? At the moment, my virtual xp doesnt seem to have any networking capability
Posted

Hi there,

 

You need to make sure you've set it to Bridged rather than NAT.

 

Installing the additions will normally ask you to agree to driver installation after which the resolution will increase can you confirm what driver is installed for the graphics chipset and that there's a little virtualbox icon down in the systemtray?

  • Thanks 1
Posted

there is a litte box in the taskbar. The graphics properties says "default monitor on Virtualbox Graphics Adaptor" It didnt give me any of the unsigned driver warning prompts though when I ran the additions. Ill try running it again maybe.

 

Also, Ill try bridged mode, cheers. Will require me to restart the VM so Ill wait till office is finished installing.

Posted

reinstalled the additional stuff, and again it didnt prompt for a driver install. In fact, I had more options for screen resolution before I installed the addons - but not the native widescreen resolution of my laptop.

 

Ive got internet working, although its not giving me an IP from the local lan, it seems to be NAT'd from the host with a 10. network. "Bridged" wasnt an option.

Posted
aha. seem to have figured it out. It seems to only offer the resolution options for whatever size the window is. Once i moved the virtual xp onto its own workspace and maximised it, it automatically increased the resolution, and then when I fullscreened it again it got bigger. Sorted. Cheers
Posted

yeh its pretty sweet now.

 

Changed grub to boot to ubuntu now by default. Think i might erase the XP partition and use gpart and take over the whole disk now. Only really use windows for Office and a few propriatory programs like the Slingplayer etc. (which incidently works flawlessly in a VM)

 

Still a couple of quirks I need to iron out though that still annoy me though.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

seems that when i start a virtualbox VM that the soudnd can only work on either the VM or the host. Is there any way to have it working with both? VMware allows this i believe.

 

Also, whenever I load skype, the audio playback messes up in ubuntu until ive closed skype. And I cant seem to get any audio input into the laptop, but playback works. Any ideas?

 

Didnt want to start another new thread..

Posted

Are you using ALSA, OSS or PulseAudio and have you played with these to see if it makes a difference?

 

Pulse Audio was nothing but drama for me on Gentoo and Ubuntu to the point I stripped it out and rebuilt ALSA to survive. (Dramatic).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...