mac_shinobi Posted April 23, 2009 Posted April 23, 2009 looking into getting a tom tom and was wondering what would be the best one ( price range being between 100 to 150 max obviously in UK pounds.
laserblazer Posted April 24, 2009 Posted April 24, 2009 When I got mine, all the people I asked said don't touch Tom Tom. Good European maps were a must and I didn't want to spend any more than you. So I got a Garmin which was on offer in Comet. I'm really pleased with it. However, I suspect that most of the responses here will be pro Tom Tom. I suspect it's a bit like laptops. The concensus might be HP is the best buy but providing you get a good name, it will do the job and be reliable. The best people to ask are the delivery drivers. You'll find a lot of them have a company satnav and there own because they don't like the company one. Ask them why.
mac_shinobi Posted April 24, 2009 Author Posted April 24, 2009 if you had to compare tom tom and garmin to say hp and apple which one would be which and why ? A few people I know have a garmin as well and I always hear good things about tom toms and never heard of garmin until about 6 months ago.
jamesb Posted April 24, 2009 Posted April 24, 2009 if you had to compare tom tom and garmin to say hp and apple which one would be which and why ? I wouldn't compare them that way. I'd be much more likely to compare a Garmin to a netbook (cheap, cheerful, gets the job done, but you have to be happy to accept a few difficulties using them and limited features) and a TomTom to a full-fledged laptop (got everything you'd expect and want, just remember that you'll get what you pay for). The Apple/HP comparison doesn't really apply. 1
mac_shinobi Posted April 24, 2009 Author Posted April 24, 2009 I wouldn't compare them that way. I'd be much more likely to compare a Garmin to a netbook (cheap, cheerful, gets the job done, but you have to be happy to accept a few difficulties using them and limited features) and a TomTom to a full-fledged laptop (got everything you'd expect and want, just remember that you'll get what you pay for). The Apple/HP comparison doesn't really apply. The apple / hp comparison was just to get the ball rolling as was not sure how else to explain it but got the answer I was after. Thanks
laserblazer Posted April 24, 2009 Posted April 24, 2009 if you had to compare tom tom and garmin to say hp and apple which one would be which and why ? A few people I know have a garmin as well and I always hear good things about tom toms and never heard of garmin until about 6 months ago. You've heard good things about Garmin now If I was looking to replace it I'd consider Tom Tom but at the time getting one with full European mapping was just too expensive. Garmin are one of the leading GPS manufacturers and are widely used by aviators and sailors. My main point was that either Tom Tom or Garmin will do the job. Buying a Banzai XYZ might prove to be false economy.
tonyd Posted April 24, 2009 Posted April 24, 2009 (edited) I'm just awaiting my Garmin's arrival, ordered a 'Garmin Nuvi 265 Widescreen GPS receiver With Full European and UK Maps, Bluetooth and Camera Alerts' from EBuyer for £148.50 yesterday. Seems to have all the features I'm after, but cannot yet speak for the usability - will let you know how it goes after a weekend of testing. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160667 Edited April 24, 2009 by tonyd Added URL
mossj Posted April 24, 2009 Posted April 24, 2009 I have a TomTom XL lovely piece of kit, and its holder doesn't pop off your widescreen when it gets slightly hotter than it was when you put it on.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now