cookie_monster Posted April 21, 2009 Posted April 21, 2009 I've started looking into GIMP on our network, anyone here deploying it on Windows using Group Policy? I was also toying with the idea of GIMP Portable, could this be run from a share for multiple users? I'm going to have a play. GIMP Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives
tmcd35 Posted April 21, 2009 Posted April 21, 2009 ThinDownload - Gimp This would run from a network share
cookie_monster Posted April 21, 2009 Author Posted April 21, 2009 I'll take a look. The portable version works but tries to create the swap in the share rather than in the users profile, shame.
Ric_ Posted April 21, 2009 Posted April 21, 2009 I deploy via Group Policy - I just wrap it up with Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard (WIWW) - a hint, the silent install switch is /silent There's a few silly settings to add into your default profile but you only need to do that once.
cookie_monster Posted April 21, 2009 Author Posted April 21, 2009 Ok i'll take a look cheers Ric, I was actually about to try WinInstall LE 2003 but it can be a faff.
cookie_monster Posted October 16, 2009 Author Posted October 16, 2009 There's a few silly settings to add into your default profile but you only need to do that once. Finally got around to taking a look at this, what are the settings that need to be in the default profile? Is it just me or has development on GIMP slowed to a crawl? Grant.
Ric_ Posted October 16, 2009 Posted October 16, 2009 @cookie_monster: The settings you need can be set using your profile and a .gimp-2.x folder will be created in your profile folder. Copy this to the profile folder you need and all is well. Development is still going strong - 2.7 has just been released to beta and that has some great new features. 1
cookie_monster Posted October 19, 2009 Author Posted October 19, 2009 How odd that it doesn't put the .gimp-2.6 folder in application data but in the root of the profile.
cookie_monster Posted October 19, 2009 Author Posted October 19, 2009 I'm sure that in a previous release that the open file dialogue box obeyed windows policy, now when I’m logged on as a student I can click the folder browse icons at the top and access the C: drive. Is there a way around this?
sted Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 just be careful with file association it dosent like letting go of them if it gets them. I deployed it as a ghost package and had to remove it and recreate
powdarrmonkey Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 How odd that it doesn't put the .gimp-2.6 folder in application data but in the root of the profile. That's because in *nix-land, where the GIMP originates, they live in the root of the home directory.
cookie_monster Posted October 20, 2009 Author Posted October 20, 2009 That's because in *nix-land, where the GIMP originates, they live in the root of the home directory. Be nice if while porting it to windows they could change it, it annoys me
Ric_ Posted October 20, 2009 Posted October 20, 2009 Be nice if while porting it to windows they could change it, it annoys me I prefer it... makes it easier to deploy on MY network
cookie_monster Posted October 20, 2009 Author Posted October 20, 2009 Any ideas about stopping the students browsing C: or does that not bother you?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now