matt40k Posted April 2, 2009 Posted April 2, 2009 Hi All, I've made an .exe that will send your data to Capita, it's nice and simple too. For anyone worried about security, it backups your database (using dbAttach - keeps Capita happy), zips it, encrypts is (AES-256 - keeps Becta etc happy) which WinZip can open (keeps Capita happy), and then has the option to SFTP to Capita (keeps the Eco people happy) failing that you can burn the zip onto a CD\DVD then post it to Capita. It autogens a secure random password too. The msi currently stands at about 1.4MB, the actual .exe is around the 700KB mark. It's a single .exe written entirely in C# it does require .net Framework 2 (I could get rid of the depend bits, but it saves on space and time - plus you need 2 for SIMS anyway). It currently backs up SIMS database, FMS database, and DMS folder. I might add the SIMS directory, but I've yet to hear of Capita asking for it. The current build as of writing is 0.0.3. You can download it from: download | Matt40k I'm still working on it, so feedback is aways good. Regards, 1
matt40k Posted April 3, 2009 Author Posted April 3, 2009 Thanks, I've had a few people ask about security etc and proving what it does. For those non-coders, or people without the sourcecode. For this example I recommend a closed network (NAT or VM or whatever) you can use any network, it just adds work. The msi can be broken down and provide it only have 1 regkey, 1 .exe, 1 mmc. Again, if you're not ok opening msi, you can get software the snapshots your pc before and after running the software. As for what the actual exe does, Start wireshark (or such), it's also good to have all your HTTP traffic going though a proxy to confirm (it's easier). Run the .exe, it'll create a HTTP request to matt40k to confirm it's running the latest version. Once you enter your details, if it's SQL, it will create a connection to the MSSQL database then close. Nothing more, you can turn on advance logging on MSSQL to confirm this. Finally, once it's got all the information, it'll backup the SQL database (assuming it's been selected) - using DBattach. (with /path etc), then it'll use the Zip library to compress and encrypt using an autogen password. If you haven't selected SFTP, you'll need to copy it to DVD\CD\whatever and send, you can check the security of the ZIP using WinZip\WinRar (I think it supports AES256)\7Zip. If SFTP is selected, then (previous versions) would try and auto email Capita will the case ref and autogen password, I've now removed this in 0.0.3. Now it will, like no-SFTP, prompt the user with the autogen password. You can confirm the SFTP bit with WireShark (or such). Hope that helps.
vikpaw Posted April 3, 2009 Posted April 3, 2009 Looks like a really good tool. My problem is that when we make a backup the zip file is close to a Gig. Sending that via FTP on our internet connection always fails. We can't even manage 300MB files, so we have to break the zip into ten 100MB chunks. It would be nice if we didn't need to do this task so often that we need a tool to make it easier! I've needed to send data 3 times in the last 4-6 weeks. Keep up the good work. ) 1
matt40k Posted April 3, 2009 Author Posted April 3, 2009 Thanks vikpaw, I've been at a few schools with such flaky internet connections. Thus the idea of allow to manually send. I'll look at seing if I could split the zip up into multiple chunks as I think that would be much better.
vikpaw Posted April 3, 2009 Posted April 3, 2009 My NM uses WinRAR when we need to do that. Adding it as an option where you can choose the chunk size would be really handy.
matt40k Posted April 10, 2009 Author Posted April 10, 2009 Just been working on 0.0.5 today. I've add a few bug fixes. I've also looked a few new features. I did look at splitting the zip into chunks vikpaw, seems pretty straight forward. Not sure if I'll be able to fit it in by 0.0.5 tho. Just hope my desktop doesn't give up the ghost!!
matt40k Posted April 22, 2009 Author Posted April 22, 2009 bump. Just got a new zip library, well I'm demo'ing it. Supports splitting zips, which Winrar\WinZip can open. Seems to work quite nice. Just need to find the money to buy a license
matt40k Posted June 11, 2009 Author Posted June 11, 2009 Bump. It's moved over to CodePlex - dbSend - Home
Edu-IT Posted June 11, 2009 Posted June 11, 2009 Bump. It's moved over to CodePlex - dbSend - Home Blocked here by EMBC.
matt40k Posted June 11, 2009 Author Posted June 11, 2009 Is CodePlex - Open Source Project Hosting blocked?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now