Inox Posted August 2, 2005 Posted August 2, 2005 ok guys, another new week, another new question :-) I am finding that when you deploy an image that has been sysprep'd and the mini setup wizard has been run, windows looses all it's WiFi config info. I assume this is because windows reinstalls the networking devices during mini-setup. Is there a way around this? or do you know where in the registry these settings would be stored and if it is possible to make a reg file that I can import to multiple laptops with all the wifi settings in ?
Dos_Box Posted August 2, 2005 Posted August 2, 2005 Have you stored the information in the default user profile?
Inox Posted August 2, 2005 Author Posted August 2, 2005 The laptop had 1 user (administrator) and was not on the domain when I put in the wifi settings. I then sysprep'd it and took the image, so I assume so. If i'm wrong about this then please inform me...the default profile has always been a strange one.
Ric_ Posted August 2, 2005 Posted August 2, 2005 Set up the laptop with all your settings (defaults for things like office, etc.) and then log off - sometimes you also need to reboot. Log on as a different user and copy the contents of the local user profile that you have just configured to the 'Default User' profile.
Inox Posted August 3, 2005 Author Posted August 3, 2005 would it matter if the user I was logged on as to configure stuff was the administrator ? or does it have to be a standard user ?
ChrisH Posted August 3, 2005 Posted August 3, 2005 I assume configuring as administrator would be the best course.
Dos_Box Posted August 3, 2005 Posted August 3, 2005 I create a local user called 'user' Give it admin rights and setup the computer. Then copy the profile to the default user profile once done. There are explicit ways of doing this which can be found here... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305709
Inox Posted August 3, 2005 Author Posted August 3, 2005 looks good DB, i'll give it a go when I get the chance :-)
ajbritton Posted August 3, 2005 Posted August 3, 2005 Inox, Assuming you are using Windows XP with SP2 and configuring via Windows Wireless Config Service, not some utility supplied with the WLAN card driver; The wireless settings will not be part of the user profile (if they were, you could not log on to the network over the WLAN). I think your assumption that mini-setup reinstalls drivers is correct. Check out the Cable Guy column, which explains how to use a USB memory device to quickly configure WLAN settings on lots of PCs. I have managed to automate the WLAN configuration on RIS built PCs, but my method was so complex that I'm embarassed by it. If anyone knows how to do this elegantly, I would love to know how. If not, then I can let you know how I did it (it's messy, very very messy !!)
E1uSiV3 Posted August 3, 2005 Posted August 3, 2005 ajbritton, Assuming that you are performing a RIS using a physical connection to the networkand are installing windows XP SP2, you should be able to deploy WLAN settings using group policy: Default Domain Policy/Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Wireless Network (IEEE 802.11) Policies When the computer completes the RIS, group policy will update and deploy the wireless policies for you
Inox Posted August 4, 2005 Author Posted August 4, 2005 E1 - this would work nicely IF M$ had included somewhere to put your WEP Key !!!! - I think the monkeys left this one out ;-p aj - please explain - any solution is better than none :-) (trust me my current one involves doing it all manually).
ajbritton Posted August 4, 2005 Posted August 4, 2005 E1uSiV3: Although you can define WLAN policies and preferred networks, I do not think that you can set the WEP key via GP. Inox: OK, I'll try to put some notes together, but as I said, it's not pretty. The MS solution of using a memory key (which are now dirt cheap) as quite easy to do.
ajbritton Posted August 5, 2005 Posted August 5, 2005 Inox, here's a quick write up of my (horrible ) method. (Hope I put this in the right place wiki-wise :? ) Automate WiFi Configuration
Inox Posted August 9, 2005 Author Posted August 9, 2005 thanks for that m8, i'm gonna have a further look into things.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now