Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have wrote this application to check services on an Windows Active Directory Domain. It will check computers to see if a service is running or not. This is helpful for finding machines that have not booted properly and the services have not started correctly. You can then start the services on all the machines you choose. At the moment this application will only work if you are the Domain Admin, as it requires access to AD and the rights to start the services on the clients.

 

Just download and extract the exe file and run from your local machine.

 

Let me know what you think, or have any issues.

 

Service Check

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
God your evil sometimes.......:D

 

You honour me, sir.

 

Anyway, in the interests of fairness, a proper explanation: each service has up to three different events attached to it, in sequential order, if it fails. Things like restart the service, write an event log, email an administrator, etc. I just set them appropriately (usually to "I don't care" mode. If it stops, someone will complain about it, and then I'll know).

Edited by powdarrmonkey
Posted
usually to "I don't care" mode. If it stops, someone will complain about it

 

How strange, only today I took a similar stance when rolling out a quick fix for Firefox / Navaho. Some of the profile file structures were not part of my 'dirty' script fix so instead of coding around it, I just deleted the profiles that were causing the problems - [ backing them up first of course ] then stating I would only action missing parts of profiles - bookmarks / layouts etc if I was asked - please don't advertise the fact !! The fix was more important & it's easier to apologise than get permission......

And the problem was a real stinker to deal with...

Posted (edited)

I'm slightly more careful with that kind of thing now than I used to be, but sometimes it costs less in time and effort trashing something and then restoring the bits I know will be noticed, than it would doing it carefully and avoiding upsetting people who won't notice it's gone anyway.]

 

Anyway, enough thread derailing :p

Edited by powdarrmonkey
this is far too late at night to be typing
Posted
The reason it came about is some of our monitoring software services just stop on random machines. I have used the restart if it fails but usually it still does not come to life. Then we have teachers complaining they cannot "see" 3 or 4 machines. Using my app I do a search for all those that don't start or haven't started and kicks them back to life.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...