leco Posted February 18, 2009 Posted February 18, 2009 I've fitted a new hard drive to a home networked machine, what I want to do is move most of the data files from the C:\ drive to the new one. This is so that the C:\ drive is the system one and all other files go onto the new data drive. Then how do I make the new drive the default location for things like the My Documents folder? I really ought to know how to do this but ...
jamesb Posted February 18, 2009 Posted February 18, 2009 If its not already defined by group policy, which I'm guessing it isn't, then this should help: Configuration of the My Documents Folder 1
leco Posted February 18, 2009 Author Posted February 18, 2009 The article says it applies to W2K server, but does it also apply to Win XP Pro? Only way to find out is to try it. Thanks. I'm used to doing that with users on the school network, didn't think to do it at home:doh:
RabbieBurns Posted February 18, 2009 Posted February 18, 2009 Im pretty sure that in the start menu you can just right click on My Documents and specify the location there. Ill double check at lunchtime.
leco Posted February 18, 2009 Author Posted February 18, 2009 Thanks each, done now. I right clicked the desktop icon and selected Move ... Why I didn't think of that in the first place I don't know. Just shows that when in a different environment the brain works in a slightly different way.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now